Re-installing Win XP & a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahrooz

Quick question :

Can I use someone else's re-installation Win XP CD and while the installation is in process, use my own product key for registering/validation?

The reason I'm asking : When I bought my PC, compaq didn't give me re-installation or recovery CD's. My hard drive totally crashed and I've bought a new hard drive, but I don't have Win CD's. I have borrowed OEM Win XP CD's from a friend but I need to make sure that my product key (on the sticker on right side of tower case) will work when I start installing windows.

If you use your friend's OEM XP CD the software key on your computer will not work! You can contact HP(Compaq) and they might be able to help you, if you can prove that you are the registered owner

actually I just finished installing WIN. It didn't ask for a product key but there's a 30 day activation timeline. You mean activating online with my own product key won't work either? If not, then as you mentioned, I'll have to contact HP.

The keys are all different, they are dependent on the CD you use. You didn't get a CD with this Compaq because there was a partition on your bad drive that contained a Windows restore feature. This Windows restore used the key labeled on the outside of your computer. You can use the Telephone feature to call Microsoft. They will ask you why you need to reactivate...

You can try Activating on-line, but if it fails, you will have to telephone Microsoft anyway. It didn't ask you for a key when you installed Windows, so the key issue is irrelevent now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back