Read any good books lately?

MarcFOnline

I'm currently working through the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, and loving every second of it. (Right now I'm on The Wishsong of Shannara, so I still have a lot of reading ahead of me...)

When I was backpacking through Australia, I came across George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings in a book exchange shop and spent a good deal of my downtime engrossed in that novel. I still have yet to read any of the other books in the Song of Ice and Fire series since it was immediately after finishing that book that I discovered The Sword of Shannara...

Anyways, has anyone found any good books lately? They don't necessarily have to be fantasy, just interesting. :)

Been reading books on the nature of Nazism and Imperialism for my Oxford interview. Now its over im not planning on some hardcore gaming sessions to makeup for all that time wasted reading!

I musta spent 2 months reading countless books on them both, only to have them barely touched on in two 20minute interviews :(.

Nothing like a Stephen King Classic to read like Misery or Needful Things; Secret Window, Secret Garden is really good as well (Note, all three were made into movies).

I guess the best book I read this week is The Godfather. I was suprised that I had missed out on it for so long, it's quite a good book. I also read the Bourne Supremacy, I guess it was OK, I just found it a bit boring for whatever reason.

They are not reading books but these are the ones I reading right now

A+ certification book

XP Pro certification

Hodges Harbrace Handbook (English Composition book):zzz:

smore9648 said:
They are not reading books but these are the ones I reading right now

A+ certification book

XP Pro certification

Sounds like my reading. Reading the MoC for XP and Server 2K3 and taking practice exams like mad in between classes. Actually debating on whether or not to take the 270 before Christmas.

For recreational reading... eh, who am I kidding, I don't read recreationally at the moment. I've read the Shannara books (which I agree are superb; Wishsong was always my favorite, though). My next reading-for-fun foray will probably be my yearly staple of Lawhead's "The Song of Albion" trilogy. Also planning on buying his latest book, "Hood", in the near future. (Or maybe Mrs. Claus will get it for me for Christmas. ;) )

Hmm... Im reading DarkBasic Pro & C++ Handbook, Do those count as good books? :D

Also im reading the Lord of the Rings books at the moment

TheGrimmSleeper said:
My next reading-for-fun foray will probably be my yearly staple of Lawhead's "The Song of Albion" trilogy.

Yeah, those are definitely on my list of books to read. How do they compare to the Shannara books?

MarcFOnline said:
Yeah, those are definitely on my list of books to read. How do they compare to the Shannara books?

Honestly, I like them even more. Don't get me wrong, the Shannara books are brilliant, and are probably considered better by most fantasy readers. But the Albion books draw you in so completely and make you feel like you're there. That's Lawhead's gift and greatest asset as an author; the ability to take what he's writing and make you see it so vividly. And the main character in the Albion books is very easy to relate to, which probably accounts for its drawing power. The fact that the Albion books are steeped in historical lore probably helps too. I read Albion once a year; I have since I first picked them up about 12 years ago, and each time I read them I discover something I didn't notice before. They're very re-readable.

the dirt is a great book......if your a fan of motley crue or like autobiographies like me, btw the book should be rated MA15+ just incase any little kiddies stumple upon this and decide to read it

Fantasy Is Most Definitely My Genre

I will (and already have) read anything by Terry Brooks, Raymond E. Feist, Weis and Hickman, Brandon Sanderson among others. Currently, I'm pleasantly waisting my time on the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Terry Brooks series is very enjoyable. The Sword of Shannara was my fav book for years and years. I also enjoy Feist, Terry Goodkin, Stephen King, etc. I read about he first 8 or so of Jordans Wheel of Time series but he lost it. As it goes on it he goes over the same redundant character details over and over. It's one thing to establish them and their personality traits but after 8, 9, 10 books we pretty much have had enough of Nynave tugging her damn braid!!! OK I guess I just needed to vent there :eek:

Masque said:
I'm pleasantly waisting my time on the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

You're a brave soul. That's a LOT of reading. I made it through Book One but I'm too daunted by the sheer volume of material there...

Hiya Grimm. I actually bought the first Wheel of Time book when I was going to school in Pittsburgh around 1990ish. As for myself at the time I was looking for a good long book I could sink my teeth into. I had no idea it would turn into what it has. I've pretty much given up on it though as I mentioned above. In the last book I read there was this part where it took the characters 39 pages to go from a room upstairs to a carriage outside. All these pages were full of info that anyone who has managed to stick with the series this long allready knew. I prefer to read for escape and enjoyment and when it becomes work I tend to give up.

I just bought my grandmother a book called "Atlas Shrugged" and I can't wait to give it to her for Christmas so I can borrow it! It's meant to be really good.

I've been mean to pick up a book for a while that I have heard is excellent, Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. From what I was told it is about the battle of Thermopylae.

Bruff said:
Hiya Grimm. I actually bought the first Wheel of Time book when I was going to school in Pittsburgh around 1990ish.

You went to school in the 'Burgh? Whereabouts? I attended a college there as well, though some years later than you would have.

Graduated from The Art Institute of Pittsburgh in 1991. Lived on East Carson for the first year of school and rented a house on city steps off Arlington Ave for the last year and a half I lived there. I like Pittsburgh. They have their own way of speakin. I lived on the Sah'side while I was there and worked in S'Liberty for a while and had to travel through the tubes. I could never find enough gum bands though....... :D

btw I think I may have actually bought the book at the Century III mall if that's still there. Wow, I can't believe I just remembered that.

So far as I know, Century III mall is still there. It's not as prominent though. A mall opened up in Robinson Township some time ago and that's all the rage at the moment.

I'm actually from Beaver County, to the north of the city. I graduated from Sawyer School (on Liberty Avenue) in 2000 with an associate's degree in business and a handful of the classic Microsoft certs. (I was insane, I commuted every day instead of moving into the dumpy apartments that passed for dorms.) Currently I'm attending New Horizons training center in Greentree (near the Parkway Center Mall, on the Parkway West) to get my MCSA + Security. (And probably my MCSE too but one step at a time.)

I knew some people who went to the Art Institute, but that was years ago. Are you from this area originally?

Originally from near Buffalo NY and still live in that area. Just lived in Pittsburgh while I was going to school. I liked it though 3 years was enough. I'm a country boy and being in a city that long did start to wear on me.

Audio Books: The God Delusion, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and The Greatest Story Ever Sold.
Books: The 9/11 Commission Report Omissions and Distortions.

Back