Real RAM readings - help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've just replaced my motherboard with another after it malfunctioned (exact model).
however I was surprised to see it shows I have less RAM in windows (in "My Computer"), I have 1.5 GB of RDRAM, but now it shows I have 1.43 GB.....
the bios screen reports I have only 1472MB which once it showed 1536, and in windows showed 1.5GB...

I have no shared memory cards, I've looked through my bios settings but I cant find what is using this memory
when I run the "winmsd" command it shows:"Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB"

what can cause this difference and how can I get my memory back???

thanks!!

System Spec's: P4-2.8Mhz, Asus P4T-533C, 1.5GB RDRAM-1066,
Connect3D ATI X800XT PE VIVO (AGP), SB Audigy 1394, WinXP Pro' SP2.

Well, I think I know now...
I have 4 memory modules 2 X 256 and 2 X 512.

when I installed them seperately in the same slots (using C-rimm's for the 2 empthy slots) for the 2 X 256 , the bios reported 512 MB correctly,
but when I installed the other 2 X 512, I got 960MB instead of 1024..!!!

how can it be???????? if a module is bad - it shouldn't boot at all, but it booted and reported part of it's capacity????
any ideas???

probably a bad stick. Read the updating ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum.

Tedster said:
probably a bad stick. Read the updating ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum.

I did read and tested the mobo and sticks.
the 512MB memory module is made of 8 chips of 64 MB each.
and my conclusion is that on one module of 512MB - one of the 8 chips is bad.
I have exactly 64MB missing, and have no shared graphic card or anything like that.
never seen a memory module working partially... with one chip on it bad....
any clues??
Thanks

Sys specs: P4-2.8Mhz, Asus P4T-533C, 1.5GB RDRAM-1066, Connect3D ATI X800XT PE VIVO, SB Audigy 1394, WinXP Pro' SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back