Really Lame S-ATA Disk Speeds - Please Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, My system:
CPU: AMD XP-M 2500+, 200Mhz x 11.5 = 2.3Ghz, 1.675vc
Mobo: Asus A7N8Xe Deluxe
RAM: 1 Gb Corsair Twin-X, 2 x 512, 200Mhz, Dual Channel
Vid: Asus Radeon 9600xt
HD: S-ATA 150 Seagate 160 Gb 7200 rpm Partitioned (just about in half)

I've benchmarked with Performance Test v5 and everything looks pretty good. Except my disk speeds SUCK! I'm getting my ***** kicked by a 1.7 Duron running a cheap 60 Gig IDE drive. It's embarrassing. I'm not sure what RAID driver I'm running, but it seems to work fine, just slow. Is there a BIOS setting that I'm missing or something? My CD/DVD is really slow as well. Also, it's not just the benchmark, I notice it on large files and disk intensive activities compared to other systems.

there was a version 1.0.0.281 RAID driver that was slowed down on write to get around the corruption caused by the SATA BIOS error in the old BIOS for the version 1.04 A7N8X-DX board. That is still floating around the net(in fact it's even on the driver download section of Techspot. I've tried to get it changed but to no avail. The driver download guy has a bum email address). the current file is 1.0.0.51 from Silicon Graphics, but it's harder than hell to find on their site. Lemme see if I can find it again....

this should be it....

http://12.24.47.40/display/2n/kb/articleList.asp?cid=358&r=0.8892368

Thanks, I think I will give some updates a try.
Maybe flash a Bios update, what's the worst that could happen, right?

Should be OK, anyway, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back