Really Low FPS need advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoupie080

Ok guys i'm getting like 20-30 fps on cs:source. I have a p4 3.0 ghz with 1 gb of ram, 650 watt power supply, and just recently bought a $400.00 ATI X1900 video card with all the newest drivers....this cards clock speed is 650 mh with 512 memory....it's a monster it literally weighs 5 lbs. Whatever is happening doesn't make sense. When i first got the game I was running an ATI x700 card which got me 170-200 fps. So I figured replacing it with an insane card would solve the problem....I an anal with spyware and viruses so there are none on my machine....the computer sits in an air conditioned room...And i realize people are having problems with source in particular but with those specs i shouldnt have any trouble. i just dont know what else to do...any suggestions anyone???

How many amps on the PSU? And i think it may be heat, i have heard bad things about those card's heat. And if i were you if your PSU is good, RMA or Return the card. Get a 7900GT instead. The 7900GT has twice the pixelpipeines of the X1900GT and they cost the same.

F1N3ST said:
The 7900GT has twice the pixelpipeines of the X1900GT and they cost the same.

I think he didn't say X1900GT, maybe he has a XT.

I agree, check your PSU amps, on it´s sticker. You should have at least 25A or more to be safe.

Hey guys...ok I checked my PSU....it's a BFG 600 watt atx dual 12V rail....I bought the best one that best buy had so I think it's a good one. Yeh wolf is right its the x1900XT...I also have 5 fans in the computer and my room stays at 69 degress....any suggestions?? I heard somewhere to reset my CMOS?? think that will have any effect?

Since it's a X1900XT, check it's temperature, using ATI TOOL. Check it's idle temp, and the load temp.

I don't think that a CMOS reset would help.

Could be slightly incompatible with the motherboard. What BIOS and chipset do you have?

alright i downloaded the right one now....my fps is boucing around when i'm in 3d view from 210 - 270....avging around 230...my core/mem is (500/600)..voltage reg temp is 73...GPU current draw is 16 A...fan speed 32%...GPU temp is 67...and temp chip temp is 65

What are your settings in CS:Source? Resolution & Advanced Settings?

Also, what do you get when you run the Video Stress Test?

Well when I installed cs it set all the setting on high with aa on application preference. My res is 1280 and when I run video stress test I get 117 fps....With that card I should be able to run any res or setting i desire since its such a monster. I also reset my cmos just to give it a try and i'm still getting low fps...I dont know what else to do

This thread is pointless. There is no way to tell the difference between about 80-90 fps and anything higher. Why are you complaining about getting "only" 117???

"I was running an ATI x700 card which got me 170-200 fps"
This means he's getting worse FPS with a better GPU.
Have you tried Installing different drivers?.Older ones or Omega.

20-30 fps on cs:source
I still don't get how you have 117 on the Stress Test.

thank you kreatureofky

yeh i had the x700 and upgraded to the x1900xt and it made virtually no difference to my fps

i dont know what to do

Hi Shoupie and thanks for your stress test results.

The CS:S Stress Test tests *only* the GPU and this was required to see if your X1900 is performing properly. By comparison, an X700 can usually only muster about 60-70fps in the Video Stress Test. So your X1900 is actually installed and functioning properly with it's 117fps VST result.

On your performance- playing CS:S online is different from the stress test. For example, you could bolt an X1900 into a Celeron 2.0ghz system and still get 117gfps in the stress test, but be running in the teens online (10-15 fps).

On your upgrade, realize things become drastically different between an x700 and x1900 as the new card has a ton more features (FP blends for HDR, Shader Model 3.0, etc.etc.) Source Engine is designed to fully use the features of the installed videocard, which while 80-90% of the work is done by the videocard, they carry along more CPU work to format/process these new features. So in many cases, where cpu-bound to start, upgrading to a higher-calibre videocard will often times see a DECREASE in performance, but with substantially nicer looking visuals. Water shaders, HDR and other effects will look nicer, but they take with them more CPU toll which was your problem even with the X700.

There is obviously something about your setup that is crippling your P4 as it's not able to muster enough power to drive the uncorked video card now in Source Engine. While even Core 2 Duo's can struggle with some of Valve's network code (it's very cpu intensive for little reason in a variety of conditions), what's important is to tune/fix your cpu and memory performance to get more out of your X1900.. which in the case of playing Source at 1280x1024, you're likely only getting 50% of what the card can handle due to your CPU not keeping up it's end of the deal.

The nice thing here is you can raise resolution and lop-on more AA and AF without altering your performance much. It's basically taking up the "slack" that your videocard is running mostly idle due to cpu-bottlenecks.

I'd recommend the next step to be downloading SiSoft Sandra and run it's arith tests and memory bandwidth tests. It's a free download at www.guru3d.com downloads section. Run these two tests and report your findings. I'd hope memory bandwidth is >4500mb/s in all cases else we have conditions that will cause a P4 to perform like the above aforementioned Celeron!

Cheers

Damn man, how are you complaining with high FPS? On BF2 i'll get like 20 or 30 in a high combat spot.. you'd probably get 500000, stop crying and be greatful you're not me =P

Sharkfood,

What you're saying definately makes sense. I've often wondered if my processor/or RAM was lacking but never really considered it because my friends PC is identical in specs but with a crap GPU and get better fps than me. I guess i've never considered the fact that the card could be to much for the system. When I get home later tonight i'll download that test and put the results back up on here and we can go from there.

Also I don't know if this even matters but everything in my pc is built from scratch except the mobo. It was the mobo that came with the gateway comp when i bought it. It was pci-e and 4 slots for ram so i just kept it. I dont know if that could be a bottleneck or not. I've heard so many different stories that they dont matter at all with gaming to mobo's being one of the most imp factors. Anyways, thanks for the help and i'll get back to ya with the results tonight

Good deal and I'll look forward to your results.

Similar specs really don't mean much with Intel based systems as they are very, very reliant on memory controller, chipset and the like due to their higher clock speeds being the technology for performance. Single-channel memory or higher latency mainboard chipset... and you'll cripple a P4 down to Celeron performance. It's not this way with AMD's as their core/fsb speeds are much, much lower and yield their higher performance from optimization vs. sheer clocks.

Sandra's memory bandwidth and cpu arith. tests will show how close to a P4's full output your motherboard, memory, chipset and memory arrangement provides. The best condition for full Pentium 4/D power revolves around "feeding" the processor at least 4000-4500mb/s bandwidth (roughly 4-4.5 gig/s) and low latency for keeping it's cache fed. I've seen many budget chipsets, memory or mainboards only able to muster 2000-2800mb/s, which is Celeron performance.

Shark,

Guru is currently undergoing maintenance so I couldn't get that program last night. Is there any other programs you know of that do the same thing?

thanks

Uninstall your drivers and be sure to download/install the latest version of ATI's Catalyst. Just dont skip the uninstall part or it'll f-kup some things.

Your memory is DDR400 (PC3200), correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back