Realtek AC97 disabled - can't re-enable

Status
Not open for further replies.
From out of nowhere it seems, I suddenly have no sound. I haven't done anything to my computer from when I had sound yesterday to when I don't have sound today. In the device manager it says my Realtec AC97 driver is disabled, i.e. the scary red X, which I did not physically do. I have no other audio drivers or sound cards. Yet when I go to enable the AC97 driver, I get a STOP error and memory dump and am told to restart the computer. Here's the analysis I get:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xB09A2801, 0xF7C76B54, 0xF7C76854)
ALCXWDM.sys - Address BD9A2801 base at B0989000, Datestamp 40e3b3db

I've tried re-installing the AC97 driver from the CD that came with my mobo (figured maybe a piece of data had gotten deleted somewhere) but with no luck.

I've just been using the on-board sound for a couple months now since I've built this computer, waiting to buy a good sound card. When I do buy a sound card, I am to assume that the manufactor (likely Creative Labs) will install their own driver. Would this then make the issue of the AC97 driver being disabled moot?

Well I found my solution... all I did was uninstall the driver and reboot. The computer then found the new hardware...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Glad you found a solution to your problem.

I`m sorry that no one got around to answering your question. I assure you this is not the norm around here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Well, I posted this question simultaneously on several forums. It just so happens that I got my answer pretty quickly from another forum. I'm sure I would eventually have gotten an answer here as well. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back