Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I have the following machine I put together myself:

Asus p5b deluxe board
intel core 2 duo
4 SATA drives
Windows XP

I used the onboard RAID controller to set up 2 RAID partitions, a RAID 0 and a RAID 1 across 2 of the SATA drives. The remaining 2 SATA drives are RAID 1 mirrored.

I installed Windows XP on the RAID 0 partition.

This was all working hunky dory, although it did require a floppy disk drive to install the Intel SATA RAID drivers during the windows install.

Now, recently, I tried turning on my PC and I got the following message

===
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
===

I happened to have my iPod plugged in when this happened, no idea if that had a hand in it.

Now I try booting from windows XP disk, and it does not see any of the SATA drives unless I do the install again with the Intel SATA RAID drivers with a floppy.

Then I tried to do a repair with the windows console, did BOOTCFG and FIXBOOT on these instructions:
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313&p=2

But did nothing to help me.

Somehow the BIOS or Windows no longer seems to see the SATA drives or something.

If I go into the RAID controller setup area, all the drives look fine, all the partitions show up, and the drives read normal.

Any ideas on how to fix this bizarre issue? I can't get the thing to boot! Do I really have to reinstall windows and wipe the RAID 0 partition?

iPods act as external storage devices. Is it possible that your boot order specifies USB (or any external/removeable) devices before internal devices?

If so, having a USB storage device connected during boot will give you a boot failure message.

Just an idea. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back