Rebooting Loop with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My first post here. Thanks to all who read this SOS for help.

My home computer, in the last few weeks, had started to shut itself off about 4 or 5 times when I'd start it up in the morning. After that, it's normally fine all day. I decided to try and see if restoring the computer to two months ago would help.

About 60% into this process, my computer shut itself down. After that, when I start it, it's in a reboot loop. It hits the Windows XP logo, then reboots.

Starting in safe mode changes nothing.

It's an eMachine. The only restore discs that came with it says it will wipe the computer down to the state it was at the factory, which I really don't want.

Any ideas of what I should do?

Thanks.

Backup what you need as far as files, pictures and music and use the restore discs.

I wish I could backup what I need, but I can't get into Windows at all. Just dos. Any attempt to get into Windows and the rebooting loop starts. It would be great if there was a way to burn files onto my dvd drive from dos, but I have no idea if that is possible.

Do bad you couldn't see the blue screen of death when you try to load windows...

My home computer, in the last few weeks, had started to shut itself off about 4 or 5 times when I'd start it up in the morning. After that, it's normally fine all day. I decided to try and see if restoring the computer to two months ago would help.

I remeber reading somewhere that this guy had his computer sit in the bios screen for about fifteen minutes then went into Windows o.k., otherwise if he tried to boot into windows before the computer got "warmed up" it would restart. I don't know if that was credable or not but I remeber reading it when I too had the same problem you did. It turned out that a important file in windows was corrputed. I didn't want to lose my files either so what I did was took out the hard drive with the bad windows on it, stuck it an another computer and went into that computers good windows and deleted the WINDOWS folder, boot.ini and other OS looking related files. I then put the hard drive back in my old computer and reinstalled windows selecting "keep old file system" then your back to buisness. However being in the jam that you are I would just find another computer somewhere and instead of deleting windows and all that just copy over important files then use the back up CD.

EMachines in the UK are known for problems with the PSU and heat. Suggest you make sure the fans, heatsinks and vents are alll clear of fluff and dust before doing anything else.
Will it boot and run in safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back