Rebooting Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to restore files, after hard drive failure. After restoring, xp just keeps rebooting. After splash screen i get message

isass.exe error

When trying to update password, this return status indicates that the value provided for the password is not correct

HELP

You'll probably have to repair your windows installation. You can try a system file check.

Start Menu -> Run
type: sfc /scannow

have your installation cd handy.

I tried to load "repair console" off XP install disk. It asked for password. there is no password. Now whats going on?

Did you try leaving the password blank?

It's also possible corrupted security files can cause Windows to ask for a password.

You can repair the OS installation by booting off of the Windows Setup CD.
Don't use the Recovery Console.
When you're first prompted, choose to install Windows. Follow the screens until you're prompted on where to install Windows. The setup should find your current installation and offer to repair it. Choose to repair and let setup run. It'll take as long as a normal windows installation. You may want to check that you have your Network Card driver available before you start.

Careful with isass; lsass; Lsass; etc...one is a legitimate Windows service the others disguise themselves as legit but in fact are malware...
Double check the spelling and or look up the process in process explorer.

Panic

I tried that, but repair console wanted password. never had one and yes I tried leaving it blank.So I went to Microsoft and read and read. They said to D/l the 6 floppy XP boot up. I should be able to get into console then..NOT

Patio

I found that out...turns out mine was Lsass.exe Has something to do with secruity. So I booted up off my Nortons 2005 Rescue disk. Tried everthing it had to try. Then I went into its editor program, I could do file repair there. So I replaced files in the system 32 Dir. Those files were System,Software,Sam, Security and default. Copied new ones from repair file.

It worked..got past the boot up

XP was finishing the install, but wait now it needs me to find a file on the CD.
When I try..mouse freezes. Try again... same thing.

Back to reading...Now it says ..you won't believe this
I had to copy xcopy and msdos.exe off windows 98SE and smartdrive off Windows ME (I might have these switched) and use these to replace the entire i386 File. That took forever.....

After I finished I rebooted and and and .... "System Halted..Unkown Hard Error" At this point I YELLED "UNCLE"

Reformatted and reinstalled..Problem solved

Tazplayer said:
Panic

I tried that, but repair console wanted password. never had one and yes I tried leaving it blank.So I went to Microsoft and read and read. They said to D/l the 6 floppy XP boot up. I should be able to get into console then..NOT

PanicX said:
Don't use the Recovery Console.

Well, at least you have a working system now. Congrats.

Repair XP reboot loop

I hope I'm starting another thread here, but just in case I'm posting to the thread most similar.

I did something dumb with the registry and lost my keyboard. So, I tried an XP repair from the XP disk.

The trouble is that - of course - when the screen comes up that requests I enter the CD key, I can't type. But when I then try to reboot - no other way bar turning off the computer and back on again - I'm right back where I started in the reboot. I can't for the life of me get rid of it.

I think I know what I need to do when I get back in - I can amend the registry back to where it was and continue from where I left off by cutting and pasting I hope - BUT I have to get out of the reboot loop first.

I've copied from c:\Windows\repair the files system, sam, software, security and er... the other one so that I can get into a basic XP configuration without all the bangs and whistles I've got the thing sorted out for over a year and a half and worse, without half my hardware operating.

What I need for sure is one simple thing but I can't find reference to it anywhere... the location of the instruction that tells Windows to go back into setup each time so I can delete the instruction, get back in and use cut-and-paste in regedit to undo my original mistake.

Anyone any idea where the instruction to keep sending me back into this loop is located?

Many thanks in advance...

Pete

Tazplayer said:
Reformatted and reinstalled..Problem solved

Well darnit!
That is not the ending I wanted to see. I have XP Pro on this system and I get a) endless series of reboots then either starts or shuts down b) 1 of 2 Lsass.exe errors and it shuts down c) no problems booting at all

B is most common, so that's the error I have been hunting down. I also occasionally get a blue screen of death related to the video card, but indications on researching that are that it is an XP/compaq laptop issue so I think I may just downgrade to Windows 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back