Reboots Running Norton AV And Spyware Doc Scans

Status
Not open for further replies.
After following the suggestion running mem and re-seating ram along with prime95 the problem still exists. The problem only happens while trying to scan my system with Norton AV 2002 latest software and Spyware Doctor latest ver. This has been happening in the last 2-3 weeks, prior to that everything ran great. If I set the PC to mini-dump the B.S.O.D. reports
nvatabus.sys address F73682AC Base At F73580000, Date Stamp 4189B6E9.
Both proggys will run correctly in safe mode. I guess I can run the virus/male-ware scans in safe mode but I can't help wondering if this problem will get worse with other programs. I did not change any hardware or software since then, other than latest software when available.

AMD 64 FX-55 SanDiego@2925 AirCooled---idle36C/46Cmax
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe---BIOS ver 1008
Corsair TWINX 1024MB DDR-550/XMS-4400
2 SLI Leadtek PX6800GT TDH 256MB---OC 425/1100 drv ver 78.01
2 WDRaptors72GB 10000RPM RAID 0
Realtek AC'97 Audio OB
ENERMAX Noisetaker ATX12V 600W PS
Lian-Li PC-7AW 4-120X120X38 Air Cooled
ZALMAN CNPS7700 CPU HS idle36C/46Cmax
WinXP Pro SerPak 2

Thx for any help in this matter......

MoTioN1 said:
Norton AV 2002 latest software and Spyware Doctor latest ver.
You seen the YEAR of your LATEST Norton version?
It's no longer even supported!
Spyware Doctor is a piece of dubious quality at best.

If you can afford such hardware, you should spend some money on decent software as well. Go to www.kav.ch and get Kaspersky Antivirus.
If you are a cheapskate, go to http://free.grisoft.com and get their free AVG.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Several of your minidumps are crashing at nvatabus.sys. This is your Nvidia ide driver.

This is a known issue.

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your mobo.

You will be able to get these from your mobo manufacturers website.

If that doesn`t work, then do a google search for nvatabus.sys there is lots of info about this problem.

One of your minidumps crashes at nvraid.sys. This is your Nvidia raid driver.

This may or may not be related to the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

If you can afford such hardware, you should spend some money on decent software as well. Go to www.kav.ch and get Kaspersky Anti virus.
If you are a cheapskate, go to http://free.grisoft.com and get their free AVG.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate any help I can get, the operative word is help not outright criticism. After all this PC stuff is an ongoing learning process for me anyways. If you read my post this system has been running very well actually perfectly since I built it some time ago in March 2005. This problem just started for no apparent reason.

Thank you Howard Hopkinso for the HELP it was most informative.

Realblackstuff I never asked for a price I asked for help, you could have skipped the delving into my finances bit, as PRICE IS NEVER AN ISSUE WITH ME performance is.

BTW according to VB(Virus Bulletin) Symantic/Norton (no year listed) scored
29 success and 6 failures, Kaspersky scored 29 success and 13 failures.
Grisoft scored 9 success and 21 failures.

FYI I bought Spyware Doctor because it was the only one I could get my hands on at the time when I needed it or anything like it. PC World gave it a decent rating, and it has served me very well up until now and still does.

Before I posted for help I read some of the messages here and thought this was a nice place to get and give help, obviously it dosen't seem that way, ANYHOW THANKS FOR YOUR ATTEMPT AT IT.

In closing NortonAV told me that the only difference between what I have and the newer versions was the features and scanning speed as all their versions use the same virus definitions. So I took that to mean my software was/is up to the task.

No hard feelings given, no hard feelings taken...:)-)

Correct me if I'm wrong but
MoTioN1 said:
The problem only happens while trying to scan my system with Norton AV 2002 latest software and Spyware Doctor latest ver.
I helped you by telling your scanning software is CRAP and what to get instead.
If that's not helping, than YOU have a problem!
I wash my hands of you.

Thanks for making my case....
There is one of you in every crowd, getting your sefl righteous/panties in a bunch attitude doesn't serve anyone well.
If you read the post......you'll notice your advice s****
In the future if I need help please don't reply as you have been approved for Persona Non Grata status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back