reccomendations? wireless networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

Hi....

im interested in setting up a wireless network in my house.
this would involve 2 laptops wirless and possibly another desktop to come...

what should i buy, and how should i go about this all....i wouldnt expect take the laptops much further away from the router than about 50meters if that helps! Also the main purpose for this is to share broadband.

Thanks for any help you give, if you need more info just say!

Toddy89

I believe i can help with my experence of routers. the 2 brands that i like most r netgear and dlink, net w/e is pretty good too. But when u r buying a router DO NOT get a lower end router cause all it will do is piss you off. They also dont have a very good range at all. So go with higher end routers and you shouldnt have any problems. i have a lower end router and i hate it so much because to my parents lap top they only get 10 mpb and they should be able to get 100 mpb but because the router cannot support that much through wireless. In other words ur not getting all or even half the internet connection ur paying for which can be pretty pricey. low end routers can also deprive ur desktop of bandwith too.

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks very much Austin44 yeh thats actually very helpful as we were sort of looking at slightly cheaper lower end routers etc to keep costs down but will splash out on highend router then - as do need faster internet possible.

Thanks very much toddy89

Austin44 said:
i have a lower end router and i hate it so much because to my parents lap top they only get 10 mpb and they should be able to get 100 mpb but because the router cannot support that much through wireless. In other words ur not getting all or even half the internet connection ur paying for which can be pretty pricey.

Hope this helps you out!

That is completely misinformed and false. Your network will most likely be faster than your internet connection. Most internet connections are less than 5mbps, yet 802.11b wireless is 11mbps, this is the slowest of the current standards. 802.11g is 54mbps. Both of those are slower than hardwired which is generally 100mbps unless you have very old NICs, those would likely be 10mbps, again these are all most likely faster than your internet connection.

Also, stick to the standards, there are some routers than "boost" speeds and range by using technology outside the current standards, these are fine as long as you use that router along with an adapter that also supports the same. Using wireless adapters that don't support those speed and range boosting features with a router that does can sometimes lead to stability issues.

If you want good quality for reasonable price, and something easy to set up and manage, go with Dlink or Linksys. Linksys' wrt family of routers is very popular and is very easy to set up, its also very easy to find help for specific features of those routers. Dlink has a very easy to use interface and has lots of info on their website that can be helpful. I recommend staying away from "cheap stuff like Belkin and Blitzz.

Well - in that case good thing i havent bought a Belkin or anyhting for that matter - but thank you for your advice its a real help - as i was reccomended a belkin by a computer store, but thought it would be better to ask experts such as yourselves. Thanks very much StormBringer

toddy89

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back