receive wireless and cabled internet at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellipsis

I have a wireless USB network adapter, which I used to use, and a cable going directly into my router. Is it possible for me to receive a wireless signal from a different source as well, therefore doubling my connection speed? My dad lives across the street and has a wireless network with my little brothers, and we were discussing trying this.

I don't think so

Hi. I beleive that you can only connect to the internet from one connection at a time. I could be wrong though. Even if your dads signal reaches all the way across the street, it would probably be pretty slow anyways. I don't think that you can combine the two to make a faster speed. I suggest that you stick with your cable connection. If it is cable then it is high speed online. You don't need much more than that. I would invest in more RAM if you want things to run faster. Maybe someone else knows if this can be done but I would imagine not.
I wouldn't even want to mess with a wireless signal from accross the street. My laptop is connected wirelessly to my wireless/cabled router and if I just bring my Laptop right outside like 2 feet out the door, I lose the signal. I can't imagine that you get a strong signal or fast download speed from a signal accorss the street(if you can even get the signal).

actually, his signal is recognized as all but one bar, and both of our places even get a few (low signal) neighbor connections (around 6 or 7)... it's a pretty spread out neighborhood, so I'm surprised our adapters even recognize all those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back