Recomm. Linux for hopeless AMD / VIA / nVidia combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

iv_

Hello,

Linux n00bie that I am, I have recently installed Mandrake 9.0 on a P3-550 with absolutely no problems at all ( this is the cool part ). But ...

When I tried it on a AMD TB 1.2 / VIA KT133 combination I got Kernel Panic, which I think is very bad. The error was:

[1] CPU Context Corrupt

So after some serious checking and (un)plugging of cables, it still didn't work. After some serious Google, I was a little wiser ( in Linux general :) ) but had not solved my particular problem.

The general recommendation on the net is: get another Linux distribution, like Red Hat or Debian.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA!

Wait wait wait...You didn't take the HDD with Linux on it straight out of P3 system and into the TBird system did you??

If so...

Reinstall, my young Padawan.

Heh :D no, it is a different computer altogether. BTW after some research I found out that my CPU / mobo temps are 58 / 23 which is too high ... I guess Linux doesn't like this ( Windows 2000 has always run ok on it ).

I will try Debian this weekend and see how that goes. If it also doesn't work, I will try to properly cool everything, besides the standard CPU fan. Or maybe it's the GeForce that makes it overheat ... anyway, got to inspect that system to the bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back