Recommend me a Video Card!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvdy

Hi there everybody!
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a graphics card?
I am a student with a part time job and not much money! I am currently building a computer and need a good graphics card that will play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Age Of Empires III, do everyday school work and surf the web etc and would be compatible with the AsRock 775V88 Motherboard.
(Specs Here )
I live in New Zealand so if I cannot find the recommended boards here then i will probably ignore them as I do not really want to import into the country as i do not know if NZ has any import rules!!!
Thanks in advance for and recommendations!!!
Cheers
Allan

Well, it's a bit of a tall order actually. The games you are wanting to play require fairly powerful graphics cards.

You need to get an AGP graphics card. The first thing you need to confirm is whether or not your current PSU will be enough to power a new card, otherwise you'll need to budget a new PSU in as well.

Open up your case and look at the sticker attached to the power supply and read how many watts your PSU is rated at. Also look at the chart on the sticker. How many amps on the +12v rail?

Hi there
Thanks for the quick reply!
The PSU is a 400W Maxcase PSU.
The +12V rail is 12Amps!
Cheers
Allan

Edit: The only things that i currently have are a Case, PSU, Wireless Card (which we already had and i will probably not use!) and a fan. That Motherboard is the one that I wish to buy as I believe that AsRock have a good record and in NZ I can get it at a good price.
Cheers
Allan

If you haven't already bought your board, I'll offer you some food for thought.

I'd recommend you get a board that is compatible with the core 2 duo CPUS. You don't necessarily need to get that CPU now, but if you get a motherboard that is compatible with those CPUs, then at least you leave your upgrade options open.

Another big point, is that the board you are looking at is AGP for graphics. If you are getting a new board, you might as well get one that is PCIe x16 for graphics, otherwise again you are shooting yourself in the foot for upgrades.

If you get that board you are looking at, you could probably build a decent system using it, but when it comes time to upgrade it again you will have extremely limited choices.

Your PSU is going to be questionable. My guess is, it will be enough. It has enough wattage, no problem there, it is the amps on the +12v rail that are a little on the thin side for a powerful graphics card.

As for your graphics card look at the 7600 lineup of cards, or if your budget will allow it, the 7800 lineup.

Good luck!

That motherboard does not support the new core 2 duo CPUs. Is there a particular website you are shopping from? If so, I (or someone else on this forum) could take a look at it for you, and help pick a board within your price range.

As for that graphics card you linked, it depends. The 6800GS comes in both AGP and PCI-E x16 versions. You'd have to be sure you order the right one.

The new core 2 duo cpus are different from the Pentium D dual core 65nm processors. In fact, they are in completely different leagues which is why I am suggesting you get a board that supports them.

It has been many years since a new CPU came out that is THIS much better than the competition. The Core 2 duos are revolutionary, and extremely fast.

They start at $270 Nz dollars.

Here is one option for motherboards for you. If you can give us a list of what parts you need and your exact budget we can put something together for you ;)
http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?cPath=1_40_118&products_id=1917

That Motherboard looks great. In my price range too! (Are the screw spacings standard on motherboards? So any ATX motherboard will fit in any ATX case)
I need: Graphics Card
Sound Card
CPU + Heatsink
Etc

Maybe I should tell you what I already have:
Case ( Max Case A601 Form: ATX MID TOWER CASE)
Power Supply (400W +12V rail = 12Amps)
1 Fan
Wireless Card

Edit: My budget is a saving in progress.. when i have gathered enough money for one component then I will buy it.

Cheers
Allan

You are going to need to get a new PSU. That one is not very good. Try looking for one from Antec, Enermac, PCP&C, Fortron, or OCZ.

Sorry for the late reply. Stay away from anything that isn't listed HERE.

So, yes, that Raidmax could be worrisome. Normally people would just say to take a risk with a PSU and if it fails, get a new one. But the reason we are all so careful, is that usually when the PSU fails, it takes most of the rest of the system with it.

alvdy said:
Hi guys sorry i haven't replied in a while.
is this a good power supply here?
Cheers
Allan

Edit: there is a review here.

There are no specs for it :suspiciou ! Antec is a good name for power supplies; that I know.

If you look at the review that i posted as an edit there are specs there and it gets a 10/10 on that site.

alvdy said:
If you look at the review that i posted as an edit there are specs there and it gets a 10/10 on that site.

Sorry, I didn't see that! That seems rather expensive with features you probably won't use. It's a good quality Power Supply but the person who's selling it is charging a high price. Note that it has 24A on 12V Rail.

cfitzarl said:
Note that it has 24A on 12V Rail.
Is 24A on the 12V rail good?
What about this one here?

EDIT: or this one here.
Or this one here
its on the list of recommended PSU's supplied above. Its a Thermaltake PurePower 560W PSU. The two +12V rails each supply 18Amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back