Recommendations: ATI X800 GTO? ATI X800XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazazoom

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16647&vpn=SP-X800GTO256E-OEM&manufacture=SAPPHIRE

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14075&vpn=100-714204&manufacture=ATI

Man almost a 50$ difference. Anyway I want better FPSAGE on HL2, Prince of Persia T2T. Looking to purchase Far Cry D3 and Q4
You think these cards will be good enough? Im currently at work..but Later on I'll post my computer specs from Everest.
Please give me your opinions on the cards. I read reviews at the places but I don't really want to rely on those. I'd rather get hardcore enthuasists to help me out :)

I'd choose the X800XT, however, it's an All in Wonder card, and I heard that those cards aren´t good for gaming. But it still has 16 pipelines, and 256MB.

Do you live in the USA? If you do, you can get the Sapphire X800GTO for much cheaper at neweeg.com. I agree with Wolfram, if you are going to game then stay away from the all in wonder cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102609

Also, what is your upgrade budget and what kind of power supply you have? For the power supply get the info off of the sticker located on the bottom (inside computer case). Give us the watts and the amps on the 12V lines. If its not powerful enough you can get pretty decent ones from newegg for 40 - 60 bucks.

Ah, I missed the cad in the price. I usually look at the web address to see if has the 'ca' attached. That 7600 looks really nice and XFX is a great brand.

While ATI generally does cripple their AIW products compared to their mainstream versions of the same, the X800XT and X800XL AIW's are not crippled and the same as their mainstream X800XT and X800XL.

In the past, they'd cripple some facet of them- like 128-bit vs 256-bit, lower clocks, less pipelines, etc.etc. But the AIW X800XT is full clock speed, full 256-bit and full 16-pipelines.

So as long as you do not plan on using the tuner/capture facilities, you'll be basically getting an X800XT. There are sticky tangles though if you DO wish to use the tv tuner, capture and what not.. but they can just be idle there otherwise.

If Sharkfood is correct (I'm pretty sure yes), then get the X800XT. It should own a X800GTO, because it has 4 pipelines more, and higher clock and RAM speeds.

I'n thinking about getting the x800..GTO even though my mobo only supports up to 4XAGP it does have 12 pipelines that will help with the fps..will unlocking the extra 4 pipelines make it run hot? if so do you think i should get the Artic AGP Cooler? v5 I think. I wanna set up a new rig but I don't have the time right now..and I'd be here asking you guys what **** to get my budget would probably be around 2000$ CAD. :p
There's another thread here somewhere regarding the X800GTO and how good it is. Too bad I didn't have a PCI-E these cards are more popular nowadays.

Specs:
AsusTek p4s533-E
Cpu: Intel P4 (Northwood) (C1) 2.40GHz
CPU FSB 133.0MHz

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 03/24/2004-SiS645DX/SIS962-P4S533-E
Motherboard Name Asus P4S533-E (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset SiS 645DX
Memory Timings 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation AGP
Type AGP 4x
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

PD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Infineon HYS64D64329GU-6 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 03/24/04
Video BIOS Date 02/09/23
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.0
Award BIOS Message ASUS P4S533-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 Beta 009
DMI BIOS Version ASUS P4S533-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 Beta 009

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9700 TX 128M TV-Out
GPU Code Name R300 (AGP 4x 1002 / 4E45, Rev 00)
GPU Clock 263 MHz (original: 263 MHz)
Memory Clock 263 MHz (original: 263 MHz)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
CPU 36 °C (97 °F)
Aux 96 °C (205 °F)
Maxtor 6Y120L0 42 °C (108 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2722 RPM
Chassis 2744 RPM
Power Supply 3199 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.57 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.08 V
+12 V 11.37 V

For the power supply I think mine is good or good enough I have an Antec TruePower 2.0 550WATT EPS 12V

X800GTO = 12 pipelines, 400mhz core clock
X800XL = 16 pipelines, 400mhz core clock
X800XT = 16 pipelines, 500mhz core clock

You should keep in mind though that *some* Sapphire X800GTO's were actually X800XL's. In other words, certain Sapphire X800GTO's were being shipped with the full 16-pipelines and 400mhz clock. I bought a few of these when NewEgg was blowing them out for $125. They have a blue PC-board (vs. red) and a really custom cooler on them (PCI-Express cooler on an AGP card). This was great for me but upset some folks as it requires the use of a dremel tool to drill a 4th hole to mount a 3rd party AGP-X800 cooler onto the board. The stock PCI-Express cooler does the job for me though as I don't overclock.

The AIW X800XT is a full-blown X800XT with no crippling. Most other AIW line are crippled in some way, but not the AIW X800XT or AIW X800XL. I have one of the AIW X800XT's and it's the full 16-pipelines, 256-bit memory interface and full 500mhz clock speed. In some cases, the AIW X800XT's can be cheaper than the normal X800XT's mainly due to supply/demand they'll have blow-outs on them (i.e. I got an AIW X800XT when they were almost a full $100 cheaper than the normal Radeon X800XT's).

Sharkfood said:
X800GTO = 12 pipelines, 400mhz core clock
X800XL = 16 pipelines, 400mhz core clock
X800XT = 16 pipelines, 500mhz core clock

You should keep in mind though that *some* Sapphire X800GTO's were actually X800XL's. In other words, certain Sapphire X800GTO's were being shipped with the full 16-pipelines and 400mhz clock. I bought a few of these when NewEgg was blowing them out for $125. They have a blue PC-board (vs. red) and a really custom cooler on them (PCI-Express cooler on an AGP card). This was great for me but upset some folks as it requires the use of a dremel tool to drill a 4th hole to mount a 3rd party AGP-X800 cooler onto the board. The stock PCI-Express cooler does the job for me though as I don't overclock.

The AIW X800XT is a full-blown X800XT with no crippling. Most other AIW line are crippled in some way, but not the AIW X800XT or AIW X800XL. I have one of the AIW X800XT's and it's the full 16-pipelines, 256-bit memory interface and full 500mhz clock speed. In some cases, the AIW X800XT's can be cheaper than the normal X800XT's mainly due to supply/demand they'll have blow-outs on them (i.e. I got an AIW X800XT when they were almost a full $100 cheaper than the normal Radeon X800XT's).

How come you bought so many GTOs? And Then get an AIW X800XT? Hmm if you have of no use with one of your GTO's wanna sell me one?

Sorry, I build a lot of PC's and they're all in good homes so I'm sorry I can't sell any of them. One of the GTO's wound-up on a BF2 box on my LAN, another in my GF's PC, and the AIW X800XT is on a HTPC in our living room.

Your PSU is fine for your purposes but I'd also look into cooling. Beefier 3d cards do generate more heat and therefore rely on good case ventilation in the form of intake/exhaust fans. Else they build up heat that stagnates in the core of the mainboard (that small area surrounding the cpu, memory and agp slot).

The X800GTO2 comes with 4 locked pipelines that can be easily unlocked by flashing the BIOS to an X800XT. That being said however, I would still prefer a 7600GS over any of these cards. It's a solid performer and will trounce these cards in any game. Plus it has newer features like SM3.0 support which the X800GTO/GTO2/XT lack.
And yes, that power supply is of superior quality and more than enough for any new single card solution.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I would still prefer a 7600GS over any of these cards. It's a solid performer and will trounce these cards in any game.

Did you mean the 7600GT? Because a 7600GS should be slower than a X800GTO or XT. They have 128 bit RAM, 400MHZ core speed, slower GDDR2 RAM, etc.

I checked the Tom's VGA Charts , and the X800GTO wins in several tests. The 7600GS doesn´t wipe the floor with the X800GTO :)

So I think I will go for the X800GTO..damn but Tigerdirect and NCIX are the only ones I think are good places to get them from? Any of you know of any other stores that ship to Canada. I really wish Newegg shipped to Canada. They're missing out on alot of customers that I know would purchase their merchandise :( oh well.
So I'll get the X800GTO I'll unlock the 4 extra pipelines. Now from my computer specs...I know I'll need better ram..The infineon just doesn't cutt it.. I Think my ram maybe faulty or getting too hot when i play games for more than 3 hours. Ram recommendations at a reasonable price? Maybe with heat sinks? And do you think the Stock cooler for the X800GTO Sapphire is good enough or do you recommend installing a third party cooler. I heard Artic Cooler v5 was good for the AGP with an exhaust that blows the hot air out.

Also I've reversed the airflow of my case. I put the 2 fans at the back blowing air inside and the fan infront blowing air out...do you think its a good idea? the AUX (I guess meaning the whole system) goes over 200 F...while my cpu runs around 40 and under.
Temperatures:
Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
CPU 36 °C (97 °F)
Aux 96 °C (205 °F)
Maxtor 6Y120L0 42 °C (108 °F)
Are these good temps? I heard the X800 has a sensor u can see through ATITool.
Anyway I've never been too into computers but i'm capable..just recently started getting into the hardware shizz. So all your help is greatly appreciated!

One more thing...I see brans like PowerCooler with the X800GTO would it be as good as the Sapphire? its like 194 CAD cheap than the sapphire...but i'm not sure if they'll perform the same!

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18375&vpn=X800GTO%20256MB%20AGP&manufacture=PowerColor

Yeah...I can't seem to find the Sapphire X800GTO AGP anywhere in Canada :( sux..NCIX did have it..but its not available.

Yes wolfram I did mean the 7600GT. The AGP flavour will be able to wipe the floor with an X800GTO, owing to a 560MHz core clock and GDDR3 memory running at 1400MHz.

Well I ended up purchasing the ATI X800 XT :)!!! I can't wait.. Also got me a pair of OCZ premier dual chan + ramsink 1G 2x512MB 5-3-3-7
also bought an arctic cooler for the card just incase i need it :) i'll be posting more for future installation problems :)

Just one note, did you buy the ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2 for the X800XT?

If yes, I think the Silencer won't fit, because it's an All In wonder card :(

zazazoom said:
Also got me a pair of OCZ premier dual chan + ramsink 1G 2x512MB 5-3-3-7
Hmm.. those timings seem a bit.. off... for DDR.

Did you mistakenly get DDR2? You're system needs DDR, not DDR2. They are totally different memories. Most DDR333/400 memories are 3-x-x-x or 2-x-x-x timings. 5-x-x-x timings are usually DDR2's, which wont work for your system.

You also need to double-check the cooler as mentioned by wolfram. The AIW's have a big, metal shielded tuner on the top (for tv tuner) and therefore use a different cooler model to provide clearance for the tuner.

OCZ Premier PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 CL2.5 3-3-7 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit W/ Ramsink
this one :p would it work with my system sharkfood? doesn't say ddr2 unless CL2 means ddr2 :p
so what kind of cooler would u recommend for an ATI X800XT besides the stock one? i can either get coolers from ncix or tigerdirect

cuz i read some reviews from ppl who've had the card for awhile..some say it heats up really badly and that purchasing a 3rd party cooler like the arctic cooler rev 5 would bring the temps down during hardcore gaming >_<

Yes that's right. wolfram has an X800GTO and it was giving him heat artifacting and all sorts of other heat-related problems recently (he even scorched his finger touching the memory on the card! OUCH!). But he got an aftermarket cooler for it and all is well. Ask him which one he got, I'm 100% sure it will fit ur card as well, since they share the same architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back