Recommendations for an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

deras4

Hi guys

I would like to upgrade my graphic card, which currently is a “NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT”. I would like to have two similar cards as I have a SLI motherboard.

I have around 350 USD for the purchase, and the cards are going to be used for gaming as well as working. I work as a constructing architect and is using Revit Architecture and ADT07 as my main working interface.
Concerning the gaming part, I usually only play “Civilization 4 BTS” and “Football manager 2008” but would like to be able to run Colin McRae, World in Conflict and Ghost Recon with no graphical lacking as well.

My PC spec’s are:

Motherboard – ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939
Graphic interface – PCI-Express x16
Memory – 1024 MB DDR Dual
CPU – AMD Athlon 64 3200+
CPU Speed – 2015.0 MHz
Power Supply Make/Model – TAGAN TG530-U15
Watt output/Amperage – 2 x 20A (33A)

Thanks in advance.

Sli is only worth doing if you have a high resloution monitor. If you are using a flat panel that only supports 1024x768 then its pointless for example.
If thats the case, then spending all your money on one card would gain much more benefit.

Unless you inted to run all your games at that resolution then you would see little or no benefit.

Buying 1 good card would be a far better idea in my opinion.

Well, a friend of mine just got an 8800gt 320meg card and he loves it, so...

The 8800 GT 512MB card is only about $250 right now and is better than a 8800 GTS 640MB. It is the best possible card for the money. Also in a couple of weeks the price dip to $200.

rik, is that not a miss print as I did not reconize that mem. on a gt and googled it and either come up with the 8800gts at that mem. or a far lesser card or if I look at the 8800gt all I find is 250 mb?

There isn't any 256 or 320MB GT's yet, but im sure somewhere down the line there will be, currently all there is is 512MB. Honestly, you should buy the 8800GT since its the best bang for your buck. Get EVGA since they have a step-up program.

Thanks for the replies...
Filipmike33: I browsed some stores in Denmark, where I live, and the EVGA card is around £50 more expensive than the same card from CLUB 3D, is the money worth it?

When we are at it, could you guys please make a recommendation for at new CPU and a cooler that could help me support the new 8800GT card? I have heard that maybe my present CPU can’t cope with such a heavy GFX.

Or do you think that my current spec’s can handle an 8800GT?

I was thinking about investing in following:
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=403726
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=142616
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=181408

Am I totally wrong, or would this do...? If any of you have a rec. for any downgrade, please reply.
Thanks a lot for your help.

I don't think the 8800GT 512mb will dip to $200 anytime soon, but the 256mb version will be available at that price.

Finding a good socket 939 CPU can be a bit difficult as they are not being made anymore, but you really need a dual core CPU to power the 8800GT. I'd go with any dual core processor that has the same operating frequency or better than your AMD Athlon 64 3200+.

Sorry for the noob question, but what is "operating frequency", and how do I find out what is is on my present CPU? Is it the same as "Clock Core Speed"?

I'd say its worth it, as of the proccessor, i'd say jump on the core 2 duos. I have the E6550 for about $180USD and can be overclocked to match a $250+ proccessor. Im at stock with a 8600GTS and still get good frames, but when my GT comes I expect a difference in my gaming. I'm not sure but does anyone know if newegg ships world wide? if they do, but from them. They are trustworthy

Your choices are fine, but I'd buy this CPU cooler instead. It cools much better than the GigaByte cooler for around the same price.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Your choices are fine, but I'd buy this CPU cooler instead. It cools much better than the GigaByte cooler for around the same price.

Do I need to remove my motherboard to install this cooler?

If that cooler uses the standard AMD fixation system then you won't have to remove your motherboard to install it. Certain coolers come with their own fixation system (Zalman for example) & those need to have the motherboard removed from the case to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back