Recommendations for anti-virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_p_a_k

i've been using AVG and norton 360 for a while now, but i recently got myself a copy of zone alarm 7.1 and i got a lot of feedback saying that norton 360 and zone alarm can't work together. should i use norton 360 or zone alarm 7.1? i'm running vista home premium.

problem with asking about norton 360 is that a lot of people base their opinions of it on past experiences with other norton products. however, norton 360 is completely different from the other norton products, having been reworked from the ground up, so comparisons with past experiences would be unfair. please be unbiased.=) thank you!

Wait until the Norton subscription runs out,
then use AVG with Comodo firewall or Kerio or Zone Alarm.

Norton 360 may well be better than previous Norton efforts,
but you still have to pay $ 100 for it.

If your sensible on the internet, you don`t need to pay anything for security..

there's a vista compatibility list posted somewhere. google "vista compatibility list". it should come out.:D

I use Avast Pro on Vista and have had no problems with it. If you are looking for other options give this on a try. There is also a home version that is free.

"i've been using AVG and norton 360" You should run only one anti-virus program.

As far as I know ZA v7.1 is just the firewall, just out of beta testing, for Vista. You should run only one firewall.

Okay to run multiple spyware/adware programs. My preference is for individual programs, not suites. If there is a problem and you have a suite, it's sometimes difficult to find source of problem.

Norton has lost a lot of it's credibility in the last two years. This was due to mainly two things: 1. problems getting the Live Updates and 2. frequent conflicts with other programs on a system, There is no way I would try to run both the Norton program and ZA. Choose which kind of protection you want, then choose the program accordingly.

i was advised to run two anti-virus programs and two anti-spyware programs, because no single program can offer anywhere near complete protection. should i take one of them out then? what's a good free anti-spyware program for vista?

You do not need to run two anti-virus programs !!
It would be almost impossible anyway.

Use AVG anti virus and AVG antispyware and
Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

The best security is in your brain.Just be sensible on the net.

Yes, you should remove one of the anti-virus programs. I have never advised, nor have I ever seen it advised to use more than one AV program. A current, correctly configured, updated AV program is all you should have and you should scan regularly with it.

Most of the recommended spyware/adware programs are now Vista ready now. I think AdAware 2007 for Vista comes out in August, 2007.

Spybot Search & Destroy:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

AVG v7.5 is Vista ready- suite included AV+spyware/adware app
http://www4.grisoft.com/doc/31/us/crp/0

You should have "at least" 2 spyware/adware programs.

kas and nod beat down all on comers! hit them so hard there mom feels it! running spybot on the downlow

oh, and i'm also running windows defender. so norton 360, windows defender, and AVG antivir.

from these three, which should i keep and which should i take out?

also, should i feel the need to change things up, which should i take out, and what should i get to replace them?

I have seen it written that Windows Defender is enough. However, I don't agree and I think there is some conflict of interest by Microsoft of the proclamation. I would suggest you keep AVG anti-virus- all things about that program have been good.

You must have spyware/adware programs- at least 2 and more is better. The recommended ones are good and free> Spybot Search & Destroy, Spysweeper if it's Vista Compatible and AdAware SE in Aug. when the Vista version is released.

Use the "free" Zone Alarm firewall- believe it or not, the free version is better than the paid version., Here is the ZA Free for Vista:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,65012-order,1-page,1/description.html#

None of these programs 'bloat' the system. They are user-friendly and work well. Let the Norton 360 run out, since you paid the big price- don't renew.

NOD32 is the best AV software I have used. I have used BitDefender, Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee and AVG and none come close to the detection rate, small footprint and superb performance of NOD32. Pair it with a good firewall like ZoneAlarm or Kerio Sunbelt and a good anti-spyware program like AVG Anti-Spyware or Ad-Aware 2007, and you've got a PC as secure as it can be.

For your spyware arsenal use any combination of those mentioned but add "Spysweeper" or "Counterspy" to bolster your free programs. Never run 2 antivirus programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back