Record m3u "work around"

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Record m3u "work around"

I recorded the m3u files to a cassette tape from my hard drive and then used MusicMatch www.musicmatch.com/ to record the cassette tapes in an mp3 format.

It's a pain but the m3u files are only on the site that I downloaded them from for 30 days and I wanted to keep them permanently.

If anyone has an easier way, I'm listening.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not quite sure if you really understand what a m3u file is. its not the actual audio its just a refrence on where to get the audio from. Here I'll post what a typical m3u file looks like when opened with notepad:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:57,Dredg - dcbtfoabaaposba
\Kazaa Downloads\01-dredg-track_01-pms.mp3
#EXTINF:314,dredg - same ol' road
\Kazaa Downloads\dredg - Same Ol' Road (1).mp3
#EXTINF:274,Dredg - Sanzen
\Kazaa Downloads\03 - Dredg_03_Sanzen.mp3
#EXTINF:93,Dredg - Track 04
\Kazaa Downloads\Dredg - El Cielo - 04 - New Heart Shadow.mp3
#EXTINF:303,dredg - Triangle
\Kazaa Downloads\dredg - Triangle.mp3
#EXTINF:248,Dredg - Track 06
\Kazaa Downloads\06-Sorry But It's Over.mp3
#EXTINF:209,Dredg - Convalescent
\Kazaa Downloads\07 - Dredg_- convalescent.mp3
#EXTINF:101,Dredg - Walk in the Park
\Kazaa Downloads\08 - Dredg_- walk in the park.mp3
#EXTINF:268,Dredg - 18 People Live in Harmony
\Kazaa Downloads\09 - Dredg_-_ 18 people living in harmony.mp3
#EXTINF:203,Dredg - Scissor Lock
\Kazaa Downloads\10-dredg-scissor lock.mp3
#EXTINF:93,Dredg - Track 11
\Kazaa Downloads\dredg - El Cielo - 11 - Reprise.mp3
#EXTINF:225,Dredg - Of The Room
\Kazaa Downloads\dredg - Of the Room.mp3
#EXTINF:112,Dredg - An Elephant in the Delta Waves
\Kazaa Downloads\13 - Dredg_- an elephant in the delta waves.mp3
#EXTINF:192,Dredg - Track 14
\Kazaa Downloads\Dredg-It Only Took A Day (studio version).mp3
#EXTINF:331,dredg - The Canyon Behind Her (2/2)
\Kazaa Downloads\17 - Bonus Track.mp3

While an mp3 file would start out like this in notepad:
ÿû² 7… ð_ ÞA 8Õ àÈ ×Ð ‚ ‚ t#á_L›ÖŽ›,ÆÔûî‰Î5”ôú)Ö8ÓŒ>ß«XÆ9nclªÆ¬ï?ç%UJYÕÉ¿þç¶ù»:¢Sÿû¹ŽŠ•õ1YÑ3õ5'Ÿ1O¡‚æ?0ËÝ]=ÐòàªB"Â2HC)Q\x+ ÅA˜”y!ä{Šã)…ø„$(TD„Ôj£RbxŠ| @ÌxØèÝ’Nì´m4iè$…Z:)º?u©ž‚sOÖšUYLƒ7õ²iÙÐR)-í>ŠHº,È)v]¿ëvÙªZÙiºÁJOú5o¤Îé[¦šLqRÝÓfQôÖ¹²Ç¡¥2ù»Ó%’êcsGB³Ä™y" Ç.
¥ÁôÜ@á9"‡‚èàÃ-¨w"t8ÊgÓ36¦CéD|sqÑ1d4—Äý„ÌŒ€»ÉbPsŒ0ð R‰‰!ZE w ÈŠõ"‘’L˘sˆÐÆcÓáí¦OV5VsÈsN5Õ&¦)ªì{cžísÌ]-1™VbÜÖ¤å0±èŠ¯Ïšm/5ŸµÕÏG[,ÕDcÏU£³%¬³*wgLÓõ?FJo©¦Ÿy’äç˜ÃA±8¼B
4GÂh.'Åâ[*•D"_¬D'"G„A~ü‰Á` $‡…!86 ¦‘ƒÀ®`V!èð)p6–£Ò0¶1ñ ² &…
PÔ€ƒ:Ã[&…ÍÜÝ4‘Îs6¬»ªIÆ:OcldõUYÿû² | jBæ5@ ÏòKƨ !¼ö X#·žÀêîç1æÍc\æEbsêÍ1'_Q^q„(aÛPÍë5ÒÇj—Gws¹¨bQϹÍC™íTVv7:êÈŒçœÈb¿sÎv˜³ØöÍ5Kœ2'“D1јFCÑ\L ÁTð[—8Ò@¨$&8¨ ÈÁ0d?@4.à\ƒp7Š‚(H„˜„.6
Ž*B"$A‹XÂH$#QÅ¢q¸" †(y‡=®Ûm¶Ûk ¦druRh9>y;„¬,‹ÎWª#Ö£&À<\B1\aBêwÓBùa1„‚u£Ý9=$‘Dj'Xh"ØK,0’xú$ŽÃá%”%‘c’»)Ý
MùÙŽ7—[eÖú
Vy
›÷eú_®ËmiÒ˜ÔÞæîÚ-Çc(Hñ±è< Eÿÿú»îSîB"Û€m’#G¥g'´>‡v»m¶Ûm4Ìû°Íô`m`:£0±ôçÇg
‚c¢ V‰0#m‡Én$H‰ÛKM°DBZ_Yñ
Ò_ôrÿ«2^ëFjÍ-˜/ØWÙa¡û–20/£5,Ù'u2vûJÓ&9~žå´Ï:‚œ00jŸ¶û\æÿÿÿªÊ—[Ü
_òå# K\#{nL¤r\ñp,ÛvuT[mºàyBôô–6»~¨qWGòzÎGLú€²™¾RüäùÒl±î±Ü«™\¼ŒV;ª •)ˆëÎŒ¨ÌWu)Ðäv* Tt”ðr†:ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ¦Ý¨Ï&´;²2ΓA;ÍrùÌWÿû²

Thanks and yes I did know. That's why I am trying to find a good way to permanently change them into mp3 files. Otherwise the site I download them from will delete them in thirty days and I am unable to play them from the m3u file.

ok, take a look at the m3u file in notepad. There should be a path to the songs then, hopefully in there you can see the url of the song, then try and take that and put it in your browser. Maybe then it will let you "download" it.
Don't know if that will work but its worth a shot

Just thought of something. If you can get the url to the file but IE just wants to play it, you could create an html hyperlink to that in notepad and then save it as *.htm then you can open it with ie and right click on your hyperlink and say "save target as...".

m3u to mp3

SNGX1275,

I think you gave me the answer.

I opened a m3u file in notepad then pasted the address in IE. After it downloaded and started to play I went to Temporary Internet Files and found the mp3 file with the same name as the one playing.

I can then copy and paste that mp3 file into any folder on my hard drive.

This sounds to easy compared to what I've been trying to do all day.

I can't see any problems with the file. At least it looks like an mp3 file that's permanently saved to my hard drive.

What say you?

Here is the site I was downloading from if you want to test you theory. http://www.gospelcom.net/tfl/listen/MP3DArchive.php

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you

Cool :) Glad we got this straightened out. That way will work but fine, but like I said there is probably some setting that prevents IE from automatically playing the mp3 when you put that direct link in the address bar. I'll look around and see if I can find it, if I can or someone else does before me it should work even simplier. ie - it will just prompt you to open or save it.

Edit: Haven't found a solution yet and have asked a few people. If you are happy with the results the way you are doing it (from the temp files) then thats fine. But you can also make that .htm document I was talkign about and open that in IE and right click on the links you made and "save target as".

m3u to mp3

SNGX1275,

Can't implement your suggestion of creating a hyperlink in note pad, etc. I'm missing something.

How do I create an html hyperlink in notepad?

Can you walk me through the procedure I would follow from start to finish?

I'm working with this site http://www.gospelcom.net/tfl/listen/MP3DArchive.php

And I want to capture "Faith, Hope and Love - Oct. 15 2002" as an mp3 file.

I'm sure your procedure would be easier if I could get my mind around it.

Thanks again,

thewolfe

Create this in notepad

<A HREF="http://media.gospelcom.net/tfl/Oct-15-2002Broadcast.mp3">Faith, Hope and Love - Oct. 15 2002</A>

Where the web address is in quotes after the A HREF=
and
the title of the link is after the first > and before </A>

Then save it as a *.html file. Open it in your web brower, right click -> save as....

There you go, that should work.

How to remove IE auto-download associations

To make it so IE prompts you before running/downloading a file:

Open up My Computer
Depending on your OS, it may be in different places, but you want "Folder options"
Then choose the "File Type" tab.
Find the file type that you want to modify.. say mp3. Under "Extensions" find MP3. Click that once.
Down below, a description will show up of what's associated with that file.
Choose "Advanced" button.
In that window, check the box that says "Confirm open after download."

It should always ask you to download after that. Also, be sure you don't check the "remember this setting" when you download something, or else if you want to modify this property you'll have to do it again. :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back