Recording VGA inputs, is it possible?

By HaLo2FrEeEk ยท 7 replies
Feb 7, 2008
  1. Hi. I'm not going to be able to explain properly why I want to do this, but basically I want to record video through a VGA connection. I make machinima movies in Video Games (console, not PC, else I'd use FRAPS) and I'm tired of using my Pinnacle 700-usb, it doesn't give that good of quality. I was thinking and wondering what's stopping me from just using the built in VGA port on my secondary computer as a video input? I know there are probably certain restrictions, but honestly, I've seen way crazier things done that I just don't believe this can't be done. I also have a ATI 9250 Video Card (not VIVO, apparently) with VGA, S-Video, and DVI ports, so maybe those can be used. Basically, my capture card records 720x480 interlaced MAX, I know VGA has the required bandwidth for HD signals at LEAST 720p, but 1080p as well becuase I'm using the VGA adapter from my Xbox 360 to my 24" Acer HD monitor (1920x1200), so I know that I should be able to transfer (and record!) at least 720p video through a VGA port, which would be better than what I have now.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,523

    Like security camera software you mean?
    Yes that's possible, but actually they run on Windows mainly, I believe.

    Anyway there's one option.
  3. HaLo2FrEeEk

    HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 164

    I should note, I have an abundance of disk space, and a fairly steady supply of new HDD's to expand said space (I work at Circuit City and people bring in Salvage computers and I strip them and take the HDD). Anyways. I'm actually wanting to record the VGA output from my Xbox 360 into my computer, as I said I have 2 VGA ports (one on the GPU, one integrated), 1 DVI, and 1 S-Video. I want high quality (HD prefferably) progressive video, NOT interlaced. Can I simply get a piece of software and plug in the VGA out from my 360 to the VGA port on my computer? That seems too simple. Can you explain a little.

    The reason I noted my disk space is becuase I don't really care how big the resulting file is, if it's HD, I'm good with it being a gig for 2 minutes, I'll re encode with VirtualDub.
  4. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,523

    I think the only way is to plug the 360's RCA cable into a camera which has an RCA Input. Then, tranfer this to your PC.

    Obviously a good digital camera required with RCA input.

    I can't think of another way. You might get more posts on the subject.


    I found a big post on the subject here:
  5. HaLo2FrEeEk

    HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 164

    Hmmm. Ok, I read most of that post and realized that what I want to do will be complicated. I do not want to buy anything else, I am a poor teenager recently moved out of the parents house trying to pay bills and living paycheck to paycheck. I want something simple, right now I have a cap card that I bought about a year and a half sucks. Is it simply not possible to use my computer's existing VGA ports as inputs?

    I've read about the Blackmagic Designs "Intensity" card that can record 720p or 1080i, but it starts at like, $250, and like I said, I'm poor, and I need a new cell phone, so money's going to that right now.
  6. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,523

    No it's not just the card but possible camera and cables and software (editing) and time !

    So, only option is poor quality, fraps or something. I don't know.

    As for the phone. Just a real brief on that.
    A mobile phone is used for phone calls and SMSing.
    All this other stuff (web; camera; bluetooth; you name it) is really NOT worth it. Your eyes are big at the shop, but a month later most just throw it on the bench without a thought, a mobile phone is a phone (and a camera is a camera) and so forth. Really just buy a cheap phone on Ebay, use it for 6 months (without worrying you're going to hurt it all the time) and then chuck it. They're disposable now !!!
  7. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,742   +421

    Correct. Not possible. Those are output ports, not input.
  8. HaLo2FrEeEk

    HaLo2FrEeEk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 164

    Damn. Well, thanks for your help guys, I do appreciate it, it saved me quite a while of digging around on google to find a way to do this. I guess I'll just get the intensity and be done with it. And I know a phone is just a phone, but these days people need more than a phone, to keep their life in order, I'm looking at the Voyager, I work at Circuit City and we have a Verizin kiosk in our store, so I get discounts, and I'm on my upgrade, so it won't be too steep. Anyways, thanks for your help guys.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...