Recovered video from SD Card won't play

Status
Not open for further replies.

blablabla489

I accidently deleted my whole SD card and then used various programs to recover the data. Almost everything was recovered but, one 128MB video was recovered but will not play, I get the error msg <<Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.>> Other videos recovered played fine but I can't get this one to play. Any suggestions on what I can do or where I could take the data to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any other information to assist in the creation of a solution. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Techspot :wave: ! Do you know what the file format is (usually listed underneath the name)? If you do know, try and find a codec for it on google or another search engine.

cfitzarl, there is no suffix on the file so I do not know the format, it was recorded on a cannon digital camera, does that help? I also just downloaded VideoLan Player and tried playing it through that but that did not work either. Any other sugestions?
Thanks

1. If you transfer the file to the SD card will it play on the camera? If it doesn't then there is a chance that not the entire file was recovered and you'll need a program to fix the file.

2. Do you by any chance know what a Hex-editor is? If you do, could you please open the file in one and tell us what the first four characters in the file are? (If they are human readable characters)

blablabla489 said:
cfitzarl, there is no suffix on the file so I do not know the format, it was recorded on a cannon digital camera, does that help? I also just downloaded VideoLan Player and tried playing it through that but that did not work either. Any other sugestions?
Thanks

No, not a suffix. It appears below the file name for instance;

Name
Format
size

That's what I mean.

cfitzarl, format says (.avi)

Jesse_hz, It will not play on the SD card in the camera, what program or type of program should I use to fix this? I downloaded a Hex-editor and this is what it said:
2E 20 20 20
but there were numbers in different windows, these were in the main window along with a zillion other numbers in list format, are these the right numbers?
Thank you.

Well a period and three spaces doesn't tell us much and I just realized that not all formats have their format tag at beginning of the file.

Instead of posting the four characters at the beginning of the file, could you scroll down untill you can see a group af letters like "GIF98a" or "JFIF" (will be different in your case) and post that here. If you cant see anything like that, then the header is most likely corrupt or it wasn't recovered and that will make identifying the filetype a lot more difficult.

Without knowing the format of the file there really is no way (none that I know of) to fix it.

I didn't see anything like that but I am including some screenshots I captured of the hex-editor so you can see what I'm seeing. I don't think there is anything I should not be posting on the web(like personally identifieable info) in the screenshots but let me know if there is. Thank you.
View attachment Noname4.bmp

Here is another screenshot. (only let me do 100KB at a time) Thank you.View attachment Noname7.bmp

Doesn't seem like there is a header in the file then.
cfitzarl, format says (.avi)
I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. What I should have told you to do was open one of your working files from the same camera and see what format that file was in. Try opening it in WMP and then go to File -> Properties, then post what it says in "video-codec" and "audio-codec".

Why? Why didn't I immediately think MJPEG when I heard it was from a camera?

Jesse_hz,
O.k. that part was something I could do :) Thanks for taking all your time to respond to my delema!
Results:
Audio codec: Morgan Stream Switcher
Video Codec: LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Decoder

Jesse_hz,
Thank you sooo much!!! The program "ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair" worked beautifully!:bounce: The other programs either did not work or I did not know how to use them, the latter is my guess. The ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair had a prompt for a similar file format to compare the repaired file:bounce to so I think that did the trick. I want to thank you again for all the time and effort you put into my mistake, I really appreciate it.:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back