Recovery of Possibly infected data

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBE300

Hello all.

Based on my old thread I had some extra questions on data recovery. I will be brief but please allow for some background. I am speaking about 2 computers and 3 hard discs.

I had a PSU burn out and take a MoBo with it. The disc from machine 1 is fine, but may be infected. I bought a new HD (disc #3) and recently installed a new secure install of XP pro following guidelines on this site. Now I still have computer 2 w/ disc #2 infected and disc #1 also possibly infected.

Assuming Machine 1 is now fine and running good. How can I back up personal files from disc 1 and 2 without infecting disc 3? The total data size is about 40-50 gigs (music photos and docs) across the first 2 disc drives.

I hope to be able to clean disc 2 in machine 2 and do a straight file share transfer to machine 1/disc 3. The hard part is how do I move data from disc 1 which is currently unplugged. What would be the safest way to regather this data so that the drive can be reformatted?

Thanks for any advice, sorry for the confusing problem! I hope it all makes sense.

-C.

Possibly infected with what? Do you not have antivirus and antispyware scanners? If not, you can download at least trial versions, anything but norton and windows defender and you should be ok.

gday mate the best thing you can do is install all the hdd in youre fastest safest pc...sacrifice a primary partiton as you will not need it... this should free up much needed hdd space...transfeer direct from my computer to the free hdd its easier than it sounds not a biggie jst take youre time and in the future create a windows partition of no more than 5GB,this willlessen the chance of you putting large valuable data in the prime partition...create a secondary partition using the remainder space...

Sorry ... All my drives are possibly infected with the issue (virus, script whatever you would call it ) in my previous post.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58132.html

Yes now I have secured the 3rd drive with a fresh XP Pro, which has been locked down as per this post: Prevention

and I am running Zone alarm, AVG, Adaware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back