Reduce size of Vista-instalation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

Hi!

I´ve installed Vista Ultimate x86 on a 16Gb partition, with another 140gb partition for all my programs and documents. But even if I install all of my programs to another partition, the Vista partition starts filling itself up (Common files etc.). Is there anything I can delete or move from the c:\windows directory, or some way to move the common files directory? Programs like Adobe and Office seems to love this directory :(

Easiest way to get an extra gig or 2, if you haven't already done it, would be to take the pagefile off of the C partition and put it on the other.

Maybe also reduce the percentage of drive space Windows uses for system restore, I'm not sure where in Vista that is or how to do it, but XP had it in System Control Panel, then System Restore tab.

Again I haven't tried this in Vista but I am sure you can relocate your My Documents (or I guess its just Documents in Vista) and Pictures and all those 'personal' folders (videos music and whatever else).

Or if you are up for reinstalling you can give vLite a shot, it can slim down your install.

Thanks, good ideas, except I´ve already done what you suggest (don´t want to do a reinstall since I´m not the only one using this computer.)
I was rather thinking of files I can remove from the windows directory.

I don't know what can be removed so I can't help you there. But if you had something like Partition Magic you could resize your Windows partition up to say 20 gigs, then you'd be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back