Reducing Program Memory Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjamyst

When I first turn on my computer, my PF usage is at around 152MB with Aim and Winamp both running. By the end of the day, my PF usage is over 200MB! with only Aim and Winamp running. Is there a way for me to get back the memory from other programs after I close them? Also, is there a way to reduce PF usage in general? I remember after I reformat, my PF usage is less than 120 MB with Aim and Winamp running. I have a p3, 900MHZ, 512 SDRAM. My computer is pretty old and I need all the memory I can spare. I am starting to notice a slight lag...maybe time to reformat but I hate to backup all my personnal files. Thanks for any suggestion!

Windows keeps loaded dlls and other things in memory from where they get paged to disk, this process is quite automatic and there isn't much you can do about it. TechSpot has a memory tweaking guide, follow that and the situation may improve a bit.

BTW, the page file usage is totally unimportant if the data in the pagefile is not needed and not moved back to main memory too often - all you lose is some diskspace. I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but if you dislike the existence of a swapfile and with 512 megs of RAM you may try running with no pagefile at all.

The thing you should be concerned about is the physical memory usage. Again, go through the TS memory tweaking guide. There are also some programs out there that maximise the free available physical memory either automaticall or on request.

I am also having a PF usage problem. im running WinXP SP2. (my computer specs are in my signature.) i was noticing extremely slow response time. it would take about 3-5 minutes just to open up one program. i looked at task manager to see the PF usage at 3BG!!! what happend!? i restarted my computer but it still is at 500MB and its runny 57 processes. does anyone know whats giong on and why my PF usage went up to 3GB. i have noticed that my computer has been raelly sluggish lately and im wondering if that has anything to do with it. any advice would be helpful. thanks

Check out www.pcworld.com go to "Most Popular Utilities" There are alot of free utilities in there that can help you with your RAM. A lot of times programs will use the RAM and when it is done with it, It won't put it back. I use a program called "Free RAM" and you can set it to automatically free up your RAM or every so often. You can also get a program called "WinPatrol" also free and it will ask your permission any time a program wants to run at boot, which uses alot of RAM. If you don't need it to run all the time, you can just deny it.
I wouldn't be without them. :slurp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back