Reformating with XP and nothing happens with boot disk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

I have attempeted to look through the current threads and have not found anything that directly relates to my problem.

I am trying to reformat my freinds computer. It is currently running Win XP Pro, SP2 and She simply wants a fresh start. I have inserted her version of XP Pro and changed the Bios settings to boot from the CD Rom. It gets to the point where it asks me to 'Press any key to boot from CD....'. So i press any key on the keyboard and nothing happens. It times out and boots up into XP. I have tried this a number of times pressing all keys on the keyboard and still nothing seems to respond.

I am assuming this is some problem with the keyboard not responding whilst in the prosess of booting up as it is a USB keyboard (Logitech HID Compliant Keyboard). However I could not figure out why this would be a problem since I could access the Bios without a problem. Any help would be great!!

I Think you should try a good ole' fashioned keyboard, as BIOS was never desingened (nor updated for the most part) to use a USB keyboard, unless there is a setting in intergraded perhapsable devices ,(in bios) use a standered ps2 keyboard.

Problem solve case ended. Remember Get you DRIVERS

For what its worth, i would certainly agree that you should use a standard ps2 mouse and keyboard.
However, should you do this and it still fails to install win xp, then go to the hard drive mfgrs website and download their diagnostic program that goes on a floppy. Use a win98 boot disk to get to dos and then use the diagnostic floppy you make. In there you will find a program that will write zeroes to the hard drive. This will put your hard drive in perfect factory conditions and settings, minus wear and tear of course. What this also does is make sure the master boot record is in perfect order as well. Of course you have to set the bios to boot from the floppy and then reset bios to boot from ide0 (not ide1) if its ide and not sata.
Then try again to install windows.

yes, usually windows XP will only respond to a good ol' PS/2 keyboard and mouse. that old one fitting in the closet will work fine.

also disconnect any USB devices from the PC like USB printers, cameras, etc b/c they are kown to cause problems during installation

...AMD

You mean like forgetting to put that 4 pin intel 12v connector on the mobo?
Thats my favorite trick. Maybe i should stay with amd, lol.

Actually, no need to convince me, amd has had the lead for a while now and i will just wait til they take it back again from Intel, then build a new rig.
I have nothing against intel its just that amd gives one more bang for the buck, thats all. But for God's sake, lets not start that war here, lol!

You know, you don't have to boot with CD. You can simply put the CD in the drive with Windows running and enter setup. It will give you the option of repair or clean install, and for clean install it will warn you that it will format the drive and everything on it will be lost.

martin_l_77084

Oh, and I forgot to mention, in a few cases I've had to uninstall SP2 first. Then you can run a slipstreamed CD for upgrade but still do a clean install with format.

martin_l_77084

I just figured that with the problem jake1983 was describing he wouldnt be able to do a simple repair. Certainly worth a try, though, caught me napping again. Guess i need to think a bit more first before responding, lol.

actually, you don't need to do that stuff, boot from this, boot from that. once you put the xp cd in the cdrom drive, it will auto start with the install screen. try it.

Personally I never recommend the, from within windows install method. I have seen to many noobs end up with two installations of XP that way.

nork said:
Actually, no need to convince me, amd has had the lead for a while now and i will just wait til they take it back again from Intel, then build a new rig.
I have nothing against intel its just that amd gives one more bang for the buck, thats all. But for God's sake, lets not start that war here, lol!

No, I wont start that war here, i respect anyone who likes Intel over AMD, i just prsonally prefer AMD, but if you like Intel, more power to you.

...AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back