reformatting a 2005 XP pro Dell pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

We have a Dell Dimension 2400 of Feb 2005 which was originally supplied at XP pro SP1 level by Dell, and was updated by an external consultancy to SP2. They also added a whole pile of special software, some clearly not compatible.

The upshot is it has never worked properly, and even after my best efforts it still behaves oddly at times. I have lost patience with it and am replacing it with a new PC.

My question is what to do with the old PC? Clearly I want to reformat and reinstall XP pro, but I am reluctant to do a reinstall from the built-in DELL hidden partition as that is SP1. How can I install from a more up-to-date copy of XP pro? I have neither an XP pro CD nor a more recent Dimension 2400 to start from, and I also recognise that Dell copies of XP are tied in some way to the hardware.

Any suggestions please?

I agree Po'Girl that an SP2 upgrade after re-installing from the Dell partition might be the only realistic option, but is there any way of slip-streaming all the post-SP2 security patches as well ? It is unbearable to have to process the 60 or 70 patches since SP2 as well.....

A slipstream install requires two things -

Install files.

Updates.

You have neither or these things. :)

As long as you have a broadband connection (2Mb +),

the process should not be too painful.Have a "cup `o` tea".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back