Reformatting dell !

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbledwadle

have done many formats but this one beats my knickers..Dell Optiplex GX240.(bought from boot sale by my friend as an upgrade) Doesn't except my keyboard or mouse..lets me enter bios but arrows don't work so can't choose boot up from xp disc. My mouse is lit up but won't work...plug them back into my own tower it all works...but my friends dell !!!!! I'm beginning to understand the word 'hate'. It boots up to windows 98,then no mouse detected'. Then the screensaver..F2 to bios F12 to bootup but keyboard works to get into them but won't let me select boot from cd...Am close to giving up(which I don't mind at the moment) If i'm in the wrong please with my question will someone put it in the right place for help...I apologise in advance for wrong doings......bimble....PS: I have an xp pro cd to load up on it....i've moved to an acer vista laptop so i thought i'd pass my xp disc on as my old lappy died.I'm just trying to do a favour for a friend but if I can't then I can't....:blackeye:

Windows 98?!?!? Throw it in the trash!! Too obsolete!! You're wasting your time. You can get a 2 yo refurbished comp for $300!!

-- Andy

Boot sale = faulty boot.....

You may well find the motherboard is gone, or the little riser that carries the PS/2 sockets for mouse and keyboard.

Your best chance is to add a USB mouse and keyboard (keep the PS/2 plugged in as well), then if both are detected, and windows installs drivers which work properly, you can remove the PS/2 ones and carry on. You can also assume that XP pro will install ok.

Your main aim at this point is find out if the motherboard will accept either PS/2 or USB peripherals at all.

You could also try resetting the bios to default by taking the battery out for 5 minutes or so. That will reset the CD before the HDD in the boot sequence. Might also get the keyboard/mouse working properly.

gbhall

did i mention it was a tower and not a lappy ? can I still take a battery out ? I shall have to do it tomorrow as i've a banging headache at mo....but if I could do that it would be wonderful...thanx in advance...bimble.... :eek:

are you sure the bios isn't protected by a password and keeps you from making changes? what moves can you make in the bios pages after you access the bios with f2? resetting the bios on a gx240 is an idea but if it there is a password you need to look for a jumper on the mobo. on optiplex models the jumper is marked with PSWD. you need to pull out the jumper, start the computer, shut it down again, set the jumper to where you pulled it out and start the computer again.

well and windows98 isn't worth it. try to get a license for a new windows, like 2000 or xp. you need extra drivers to be installed to have your mouse working.

Bios F2

when i get to the bios screen i can't move up or down to choose cd boot. If it's passworded i don't know where that would be. It looks a small neat tower but i wish she'd asked me b4 she bought it. I can't install anything on it. Once i'm passed the windows 98 screen it says there's no mouse...and that's it.....Can't install my mouse cd as can't click on anything + nothing runs through the cd drive. Methinks i'll give it back an admit defeat unless I can access it somehow.....thanx in advance,,,,bimble :confused:PS: i have windows xp pro cd to put on it if i can get in there

As mscrx says, you bypass the password by shorting a jumper on the motherboard. I doubt it is password protected, or it would be obviously asking for the password. I am going further, I am saying reset the bios to default by removing the motherboard battery. That is a small round flat thing the size of a thumbnail. There is a little spring release on one side and you lever it carefully out with a nail-file or small screwdriver. Leave it out 15 minutes and click it back in.

If that does not bring back your ability to navigate within the bios, then there is clearly no way that PC is any use, except as a door stop.

I hope you have carfully checked ALL the connections, that the HDD/CD cables are the right way round, that the memory is properly seated???

You mention 'upgrade' (of a previous PC?) then you could use the HDD and possibly the CD if it is R/W. Nothing else - even the memory - is likely to be of use.

bimbledwadle please do not post in Pink, it is distracting to the eyes
Keep your text simple and easy to read at all times

bimbledwadle said:
Once i'm passed the windows 98 screen it says there's no mouse...and that's it.....Can't install my mouse cd as can't click on anything + nothing runs through the cd drive.

you can try to use a ps2 mouse and keyboard or at least a keyboard inside win98. but any usb keyboard should work inside the bios and you seem to be able to access the bios with f2.

bimbledwadle said:
Methinks i'll give it back an admit defeat unless I can access it somehow

I agree that this would be the best option if clearing the bios doesn't work. either the seller shows you how to get it to work or he gives your friend back her money because his sold her a crap.

Many many thanx to all...

[B]I'm just about to start removing the cover.....your ideas are much appreciated..I'll let you know what happens (in purple?)[/B] :chef:

Windows 98 is fine, but drivers are now harder to get.

Reset your BIOS. Buy a new 2032 BIOS battery at Wal-Mart or your favorite store for about $3.50.

Then start over.
You have to assume that some turkey toyed with this computer and fouled up everything.

Check all your internal cables by removing and reseating them. Remove and reseat your memory. Try replacing the memory with borrowed PC-133 SDRAM of 64 MB or larger.

Disconnect your hard drive and optical drive. See if it will boot to your floppy disk Windows 98 Boot/Startup.

If it boots, you are on your way. Otherwise, you are due for a long day of replacing and testing.

raybay

If it gets more than that raybay I might move to greenland and build an igloo ! But i'm going to try it all and then at least I can say I tried. All good,relevant information is and has been very greatfully received. I hate to admit defeat to a machine. :wave:

bimbledwadle said:
I hate to admit defeat to a machine.

never give up on a machine. you'll be the winner because you can throw it away but it can't :)

I think you have alot of input now...

wish you good luck

mscrx,gbhall,raybay

Yo Yo Yo......I took the battery out which reset it. Then my son gave me a very old keyboard with a purple end + an equally old mouse with a green end. Thank god he hoards things. Into bios(F2)..ALT+F to default settings,checked the bios settings just to be sure,bunged in the xp pro cd,loaded,sorted and am typing 'thank yous' coz it's running like a dream.My friend will be really pleased as she's poor an her old machine is abyssmal. Couldn't have done it without yous.... :grinthumb

you're welcome, bimbledwadle
and we, if I may speak for those who tried to help, are happy you got the computer to work again

cya

bimbledwadle said:
Yo Yo Yo......I took the battery out which reset it. Then my son gave me a very old keyboard with a purple end + an equally old mouse with a green end. Thank god he hoards things. Into bios(F2)..ALT+F to default settings,checked the bios settings just to be sure,bunged in the xp pro cd,loaded,sorted and am typing 'thank yous' coz it's running like a dream.My friend will be really pleased as she's poor an her old machine is abyssmal. Couldn't have done it without yous.... :grinthumb
Superb, unfortunately most forum patrons don't have a clue that not everyone is flush and have other issues to worry about (and pay for) besides buying the latest hardware (or what colour you're posting in!). :haha:

Hope you put in a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware for her, OR YOU'LL SOON BE BACK !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back