Reformatting NTFS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Hey guys. I'm having a problem reinstalling Windows XP Pro. The reason I had to reinstall is because Windows kept hanging at the boot screen after I tried to copy a large file to another partition and then rebooted (I really don't know why it did this). So I was reinstalling and when I booted from the CD and tried to reformat it to a NTFS volume it never gave me the option to. It basically said it didn't recogize any format to install Windows on so I needed to create one, but it will not let me. Right now I have one 92GB partition formatted NTFS that I have for all my media that I'm not reformatting. I also have 2 other partitions of about 10-12GB each, one for the Windows partition and another for a Linux one I'm trying to make.

My question is how can I format my partitions to NTFS without an OS on my computer? And if that isn't possible through a boot disk or something, do I have to install another hard drive to be able to get to the unformatted partitions and then partition them to NTFS? I really don't want to do this if I don't have to, but I'll do whatever is necessary. I'm pretty pissed that Windows screwed up on me like this, but I just want to be able to installed the OS back on my computer without going through a ton of hassle. Thanks for any help you can offer and I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. :)

As it stands I have one partition (12GB) that is unpartitioned and one 12GB partition that is partitioned in some kind of Raw mode that it did when I told it to format the partition (I can undo this though).

that 12 gig you have, actually either of them. why don't you install XP or 2k or even NT4 to it, that way you can format to any windows file system you like.
Actually there is a way though to format to ntfs I believe without having an operating system. I know my Mandrake Linux 7.0 disks would let me format a drive to almost any file system imaginable, don't remember off hand if ntfs was an option but it might be worth looking into if you or someone you know has a mandrake install cd.

I've tried installing Windows 2000 Pro on it also, but no luck, I still don't get the option to format to NTFS or FAT32. Both of the partitions give me the same results when I try and format them so I can't format either of them to FAT32 or NTFS.

I'll try looking around for a solution, but right now I'm stumped.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back