reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonkid

i'm having some trouble with my computer and i need to reformat:( and i'm a having some trouble could anyone help me by any chance?

any help would be greatly apperciated

Some info would help such as the Specs of your Pc, the OS you are using and what the problem is, you may not need to Reformat but i cant say anymore without info.

www.bootdisk.com
Download a Windows98 boot floppy image.
Run that.
reboot with that floppy in the drive
Format C:

Now that is the solution in a majority of the cases, but there are some instances where that will not work perfectly.

could u get a me a direct link? i can't seem to find it 0_o

there is so many of them with similair names :eek:

i did try to boot from the cd.. but it says starting windows 95 0_o and it says wrong cd after

edit yes i do plan to reinstall xp

It should say starting windows98, then you want to boot with CD ROM support, if you are planning on directly installing XP. And that is if for some reason your XP CD isn't bootable and/or you just don't want XP to format the drive for you when you begin the installation.
If you insist on doing it the hard way then type Format c:
press y
enter volume name after the format is complete

Then here's the often overlooked important part, you are going to need smartdrv.exe, and I don't know where that is on the XP Install CD, so I always get mine from a windows 98 disk.
But you must run smartdrv.exe before you can start the XP installation, otherwise you will be waiting a LONG time for the install to finish.
Then to start the XP install its
CD Drive:\i386\winnt.exe

now I *think* that is all right, but its been a long time since I've done it that way. Its just simpliest to have the XP install format your drive.

ok i booted from cd and everything is good but after the first part and it restarts it say non-system disk replacle and strike and key when ready T_T

bah my floppy won't work T_T

Boot from CD again, start the windows install, format the drive when you are given the option to in the install. Remove the XP CD, remove any floppy from the drive (shouldn't be a floppy in the drive at all if booting from cd).
When the computer reboots take the cd out of its drive until the windows install starts to load on its own, then put the cd back in the drive.

dam there was a floppy in the a drive

i knew something was wrong lol

i'm gonna try again.. hopefully it will work

edit WOOT!!!!! IT WORKED I NOW LOVE THIS PLACE lol'

double edit thx a bunch for ur help.. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back