Regarding Geforce 6800 Ultra, Ultra Extreme, or Asus v9999 Ultra Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all =). I'm getting a computer made with a 450w power supply. I'm getting a Geforce 6800 Ultra at least, but the company recommends a 480w supply for this card. I've heard of people having problems with their power supply not being able to cope with this card, but I don't know exactly at what power their power supplies ran. Will I run into any problems with the power supply I'm getting, or should I upgrade to 480w or more?

Don't know if you need this information also, but I think this may also effect my power supply:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon 64 3400+
1.5 GB pc3200 DDR Ram
120 GB HDD

Also heard that AMD uses less power than Intel or something...sooo I was thinking that perhaps my graphics card will not be affected as much because of this...but dunno. Help would be greatly appreciated =D.

One, Use a title once.

Two, nope nVIDIA GeForce 6800 families or newer REQUIRES 480w of psu minimum, PERIOD. it is not matter how much watts amd or intel uses, what you means that you must have 480w or higher to have GF 6800 working properly.

Recommendation, get ATI Radeon 9600XT or 9800XT, they merely used up less than 350w.

Lucan

You will get better games or things out of ATI instead of nVIDIA due to power usages

Power supply

Great choice on a 6800 ultra!

If you are very intent on the card, and have some extra cash to throw around, go for it!

However, I would recommend a bigger power supply. 480 watts would handle the hardware, but not very effectively.

Otherwise, the 9600 pro is a great card. I have the 256 meg Lite Re myself, and it handles everything fine, alongside the AMD 3200+, and a gig of ram. So unless you wanna go huge overkill, 9600 pro should do the job :D

NO disrespect to the people above but the 9600 XT, pro or 9800 XT are not even in the same circle as 6800 Ultra when it comes to performance. Not even in the same ballpark or state. All the cards above are good performing cards but no where close to the performance of the 6800 Ultra especially on higher resolutions and the newer games that are out.

A better recomendation would be to get a X800 XT PE its a faster card than 6800 Ultra it does cost a lil more but if you are shelling out the money for a 6800 Ultra a lil more and you can get more performance. X800 XT pe only requires a 300 - 350 W power supply and it has a single slot cooling system. Here is a link for the information above:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-99-x-9-9-x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back