regedit.com, ping.com files - HijackThis log attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new computer and was setting up a home network with my existing laptop. I was troubleshooting the network when I noticed that the ping command did not work on the latop. I searched the internet for "ping.com is not a valid Win32 application" and it looks as though these regedit.com and ping.com files are signs of a virus.

I have ran the AVG anti-spyware prgram and it did not find any spyware. I ran a virus scan with Norton antivirus with the latest definitions, and it did not find any virus. I also ran a Panda online virus scan and it did not find anything.

I have attached my HijackThis log. Please help determine if I have a virus or spyware, and help me determine how to fix the problem.

Could this also be the reason my new Vista machine will not identify my laptop on the network?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot

Your system is infected with at least 1 worm and 1 trojan.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of dvrice only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I appreciate the help. Now that you have identified that I have at least one worm and one trojan I have a couple questions:

1) Why did the anti-spyware, Norton anti-virus, and Panda anti-virus not detect any of these on a full system scan? Is there any specific program you would recommend I try scanning with that would identify the virus?
2) I am leaning towards reformatting and starting over. If I choose this option, can I copy all my pictures, music, word documents, etc. without also transferring the virus? My inital thought is to copy all files I want to keep onto a flash drive, format and reload windows, then add the files back to the computer.

Your music and pictures are definitely safe to copy. Your documents may be provided they are not in the form of .doc files. That`s because .doc files can carry infections.

A lot of antivirus programmes won`t find trojans, that`s usually taken care of by the antispyware programmes. Symantec/Norton is particularly crap in my opinion. Don`t know too much about Panda.

Here`s a list of the programmes I recommend.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm or Kerio free firewall programmes.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of dvrice only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back