Regedit won't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronire

Ok, so my dvd/cd drive isn't working and I've been told that deleting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCl ***\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} from my registry via regedit will solve the problem.

Well I downloaded regedit but when I open it all I get is a blank white box and I can't open or expand anything! How am I meant to access the registry location without regedit working? The process is simple enough to understand but without bloody regedit.exe working how am I meant to fix this problem!?

I tried that before I downloaded it and nothing happened. So I downloaded it and I did what you've just told me. I've done it over and over and it's just a blank white screen as I've already said.

What version of Windows are you using?

Regedit should absolutely positively work without any question whatsoever :p . Not being able to run regedit might point to a deeper system issue (viruses, missing system files etc...). And no, NEVER download regedit. There's no telling what you just really downloaded. =P

So, if regedit still isn't working for you, try Start > Run > regedt32.exe. It's a 'newer' version, but works in the same way. If you can't run regedt32 EITHER, we need to figure out why not... because that means there something else wrong with your system or you are somehow making a mistake.

I deleted my downloaded version of regedit and tried to run it again but nothing happened, as before. So I did system restore to a restore point from about two months ago and it actually worked. I have no idea why it wasn't working before, maybe a virus I wasn't aware of? I'll do a scan to make sure there's nothing still lurking.

Anyway, I finally managed to delete the upper and lower filters in the direcotry given but my dvd/cd rom drive still isn't recognised by the computer! I had several programmes by Roxio on my computer (which I don't remember installing at all?) and deleted them because apparently it's known for causing this problem. Still no difference. It doesn't matter what disk I put in it's not being read. What else could be causing this problem? And is there an autoplay fixer for vista does anyone know?

Oh and I've also tried looking for drivers from the HP website but couldn't find any. If anyone knows where I can get the drivers for my dvd/cd rom that'd be great.

Model #: SR5027UK
Product #: RY935AA-ABU070107#32#203211022006
Serial #: CNH7160P3M
Software Build #: 72GBv3Prb5
Service ID #: 061-107
PCBRAND: Presario

Go to Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Ok

See if your optical drives are detected here. If not, reboot and see if your BIOS detects them.

Yep it says that it's there. I tried uninstalling it and then Action, Scan for hardware changes and it reinstalled but still not being read. There's no error symbol next to it and according to the device properties it's running normally. I'll check my BIOS now.

Will it read the disk if you try to manually start it via My Computer?

To enable Autoplay go to Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>AutoPlay and make sure the option to use AutoPlay is checked.

The BIOS detects it.

No it doesn't run from My Computer, it says the E: drive is empty and
I checked autoplay and it's all normal. I have no idea what the problem is!

Zenosincks said:
You're trying to read disks that you're absolutely certain work correct? That drive has read them in the past?

Yep, up until three days ago it was all working fine. I haven't done anything to my computer (added anything, deleted anything etc) to make it stop working.

mrghost said:
The Manufactures use the cheapest stuff they can to build computers to keep their price within reach, cheap modems,cheap psu,cheap drives, So I went with a quality External burner usb, Have you tryed using a different,? Drive, Have you tryed unplugging the cables from the unit and motherboard and pluged back in, have u changed you order of drives and have the CL SL MA pin on the wrong place on the back of the unit. Check the Molex 4 pin power connector cheap factory connect, bad pins, These units go bad all the time I went through 3 last year, External is the way to go, you only turn it on when you need it, so they last a whole lot longer.
I meet a guy this week at a flea market trying to sell a dvd player 20 years old for $ 30.00 You can get a brand new one for $ 16.99 There's a sucker born everyday............http://3btech.net/.

I've tried all of that except using a different drive. How do you swap drives?

I've also noticed that when I boot, my external sound blaster and modem aren't recognised immediately by my computer. After a few minutes they're running just fine.

I did system restore to a restore point created two weeks ago but the problem hasn't gone. And I'm running on Vista, does it have a repair?

If your computer is a retail computer like an HP, Dell, or Sony you may not have a Vista install disc, but only an option to restore your entire operating system. If your computer is home or custom built your should have a Vista install disc. If you boot off this disc you will see a repair option. What is your computer? Custom built or retail store bought?

Tmagic650 said:
saffronire,
have you tried performing an XP repair, or an OS (Operating System) restore?

I've just tried to do two more system restores to see if an earlier restore point would work better and the restores failed because of an unexpected error. Could this be a serious hardware problem?

Tmagic650 said:
If your computer is a retail computer like an HP, Dell, or Sony you may not have a Vista install disc, but only an option to restore your entire operating system. If your computer is home or custom built your should have a Vista install disc. If you boot off this disc you will see a repair option. What is your computer? Custom built or retail store bought?

It's an HP bought from the website if I remember rightly. I have all of the stuff that came with it so I'll have a nose around to see if any discs came with it.

There should be a "Destructive Restore" option available on the HP. Back up your important data and run this restore. It will return your computer to the condition on the day you bought it... Your hard drive may be corrupted. A destructive restore may "fix" the hard drive

My system is backed up on Norton 360 as well as a disc that I made when I first got it. Obviously since then I have aquired more documents, mainly important university work and would have to back up another disc to save them which is impossible. Is there any other way to back up my files without a disc?

"My system is backed up on Norton 360"...

This should read "My system is backed up using Norton 360"... This backup should have been "automatic" meaning the back up should have kept things current... Can you do the same back up now on, or using additional discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back