registry-error preventing windows xp from booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

puremuscle

Whats up everyone. I was amazed at the tremendous amount of helpful links and input from all you here. I literally have not slept in 18 hours going through all the threads here, In fact I just found time now to register really. All I have to say is WOW, keep it up guys

OK now to my problem. I had just installed the latest updates for window xp home from microsoft and then it asked to restart, so I did, Only I did not log back in, instead I went about doing something else and before I knew it I was late for work so I turned of my pc by holding the front cover power button.
Later that day I went back to turn it on and it did not boot.
When I first turn it on I get the windows xp logo, after a few seconds I get a blue screen stating that windows was shut down in order to prevent damage and it says " Registry Error"
I've tried booting in safe mode,last known good config,normal and I keep getting tha same blue screen.
I've also performed ram tests and HD test from links I found here, and they check out good.
I have a dell system, pentium 2.8 HT, 512 Mb,sound blasters audigy live sound card, fire wire/video sound card,ATI all in wonder 2006 graphics. it originally came with a 250 w power supply, when it went out last year I replaced it with a 3oo w power supply. the only upgrde I"ve performed was the graphics card, about a month ago
I'll start taking my computer apart in a few and I'll post all the makes and models of my componenets
thanks guys

yes I can. I'm sorry I've should of explained in detail. When I boot from cd and I get to the set up screen, regardless of what option I choose I still get the blue screen with " registry error"
If I choose "set-up" I'll get the blue screen after I agrre to the "terms" screen.
If I choose the repair console same, the same blue screen will follow

sounds like a dead end that, only suggestion I've got is install a new Hard Disk and install XP onto that, using your original disk as a second disk. Once onto windows drag all the files you want across to the new Hard Disk and then Format your old disk

WOW!!! are you serious!!!!!
I've been wanting to purchase a new disk to add to my pc but I have not been able to convince my wife. this'll be the perfect excuse.

But does'nt that mean that I'll have to purchase a new copy of windows as well ? That would suck.
I would still however like to fix this error thing.
I've already backed up my data by taking the HD out and hooking it up to this computer(the one I'm online with, got 2 pc's) I just moved my files.
Now that I come to think about it, is it possible to format the bad HD on this pc and then install it back to the other pc and install windows all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back