Reinstall XP on TC1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo Ice

Hi. I have a Compaq TC1000. I've had it for several years, and now, it's become bogged down with many programs installed, residue left from uninstall, old files, corrupt system files, many removed virus' ect ect. Its MUCH slower than when I first got it, and would just like to reinstall XP on it. I found my restore CDs in the box it came in, but, I don't have a dock or an external cd drive. I've found some USB>IDE external CD drive enclosures on the net, but my question is, can I reinstall XP on a TC1000 with a USB drive, or do I need a dock?

Apologize for not understand your problems...

What happened to your old Compaq TC1000 Factory Installed CD-ROM?

I dont know if Compaq accept the external drive because TC1000 is old. No, wait, TC1000 is that Tablet PC? You should ask around for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition instead just XP. If you can borrow/buy/rent dock, use it.

Lucan

before re-install

before doing a re-install try running disk deframenter from system tools in the accessories menu, this may speed up the system a little bit if this does not work then try the re-install. :grinthumb

I've tried many things to speed it up, but I just want to reinstall. Yes, the TC1000 is the tablet pc, it doesn't have any cd drive built in. The only way to use a cd with it is with the expensive dock, usb, or a network. I have the discs for XP Tablet PC Edition, the restore ones that came with it. The only problem I have is getting it from the cd to the hard drive. I don't know anyone with a tablet pc, let alone a dock for a TC1000, so borrowing is out of the question. The last time I checked, it was about $200, so that too is out of the queston. If I can't do it myself I'll just take it to CompUSA and have them do it for $30. But does anyone know how to do it without the dock?

I think the easiest way would be to get on someone's network and share their CD drive and copy the contents of the cd's to your backup partition, if you have one, that way you can run the setup files form dos. If you don't you can try getting a USB drive from someone, providing your mobo supports USB booting.

Ok. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's USB drive. If not, or it wont support booting from it, I'll let the guys down at CompUSA deal with it...I'm fed up with all these problems. It seems my house is cursed. Get a computer that runs fine, bring it to my house, and it will fail miserably. lol

try take the HDD out of the tablet
connect to another pc either internal or usb

set 2 partitions
1) fat
2)ntfs

copy the contents of the i386 folder to the Fat partition
make the fat bootable

place the hdd in the tablet
restart
you should get a C: prompt
you can now start the installation from C:\i386 folder

another thing to do is when you have completed the installation of all apps.
take the hdd out again and make an image of the drive with Ghost or similar
next time you want to restore your pc
use the image restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back