Reinstallation Help - Minus the XP Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

weslstan

Ok Ill try to keep it short,

Basically I tried to partition my hard drive and messed it up, it must have done something seriously wrong to the system files because now I cant boot except into safe mode and thankfully have been able to back up all my important files.

Now obviously im going to want to do a reinstall but the problem is that I brought my computer from pc world as a package a couple of years ago and therefore do not have the original XP do reinstall from, My question was simply how will I go about reinstalling my OS without the original disc?

Thank you.

Basicly... you can't. You need the XP CD to do the reinstall. So you will have to go and buy another CD. You can get a OEM version from newegg for $90.

That is the problem with buying computers from pc world, dell.. ect ect. They usually don't come with a reinstall disc. May not be true for all manufactures but its true for some.

Damn thought this would be the outcome, even when I buy the disc though will I be able to install it in safe mode?

Not quite sure what you mean there, but I do know that you will need to make sure you have everything you want backed up on a different hard drive or external drive. You will have to put the XP CD in and then follow the instructions its simple. It WILL WIPE YOUR EXISTING DRIVE, so do make sure you have everything backed up. This will create a whole new XP instillation and there will be no trace of the old one left. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back