Reinstalled XP - Now Video drivers are gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Reinstalled XP and it has overwritten all my video drivers. This normally wouldn't be an issue but now the video drivers from NVidia can't see that my GeForce 5700 card in installed and won't run the set up program.

I've tried the control panel/add hardware wizard but it won't let me grab the files from the C Drive. The add harware wizard only shows ATI and Intel drivers and something called LogMeIn Drivers

The Display Details only show the VGA Drivers as the cuurent Driver.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

well yes when you reinstall windows it will easrse all your drivers, dont you have the driver disk and did you install the car yourself or is it factory when you bought the computer

Is it listed in the device manager under video adapter? If it is or if it has an exclamation point next to it click the right click the device and uninstall it. Restart the computer and don't let it search for the drivers. Point it to the cd or the folder where the drivers are and it will install. Or you can uninstall it and download the latest drivers setup file from Invidia and it will install the drivers for you.

See if your display device is even detected at all in the device manager. If your video card is marked as unrecognized hardware in the device manager (usually marked with a yellow question mark), then do what fastco said.
If it is not detected at all anywhere, then make sure your hardware is correctly seated in its slot.

There isn't even a displays category listed in the device manager. Windows doesn't detect my AGP card at all. It installed the default VGA drivers.

I have the latest drivers from NVidia which are the recommended drivers from PNY but when I use the Add Hardware Wizard, I can't select that driver file.

I'm stuck and considering saving my docs, pics and music to CD and reformating, but only as a last resort.

Thanks for your input so far.

If u use the CD that came with the card u should only have to place the CD in the CD drive and it should run and install drivers u do not have to run the add new hardware. Once the card is installed u can then update the drivers but if u have older drivers (61.77, or 71.84) stop with those as the newest drivers have been uped to the point they are even advanced for the 7800 GS.

You need to install your motherboard chipset drivers or reference chipset drivers before you can add/install your videocard drivers.

See if you can determine your motherboard, and if you cannot, download/use CPU-Z and see if this will report the make, model and chipset. From here you can either visit the website for your motherboard, or get the reference chipset drivers directly (i.e. intel, nforce, via, sis, etc.etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back