Reinstalling Norton Internet Security without losing updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. I'm having major trouble with my NIS and the only solution seems to be to reinstall. Problem is, it's been installed for 8 months and I just don't want to reinstall all the updates downloaded since then. Is there a way I can back up these updates and reinstall them (e.g. virus definitions) into a clean version of NIS 2004? Thanks for your help.

I'd bin it altogether if I were you, but I suppose that's not what you asked...
What kind of "major trouble" are you having? If it's compatibility issues with other software, there might be another answer. And, to my (limited) knowledge it wouldn't take years to dowmload updates unless you had very slow dial-up or something. Can you give us a bit more info on the problems?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Reinstalling NIS shouldn`t be that difficult. Downloading the updates shouldn`t take that long either.

However, there is a better way.

Symantec/Norton crapware is one of, if not the worst security programme out there, as well as being a resource hogger.

The best advice I could give you is to download the free AVG antivirus programme and the free Zonealarm firewall from HERE and HERE.

After you have downloaded those, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Norton from add remove programme in your control panel. You will probably need to do this in several bits.

Once Norton is gone, reboot your computer and install Zonealarm, followed by AVG. Reboot your system and then reconnect to the net. Run the AVG updates and do a complete system scan from safe mode.

Apart from anything else, you will probably see a marked improvement of your system speeds. This is because Norton is a resource hogger.

Then download and run the Ccleaner programme from HERE.

Finally run a disk defrag.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back