Reinstalling windows removes all programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.Suppose I uninstall windows98.Then install it again.Will all my installed programs like office2000,oracle etc.. be removed also? Also will a new set of registry be installed?
Thanks.

If you do a repair install you won't loose any information.

If you do a Format and Reload you will loose everything

If your computer comes with a restoration disk you can use that after you format.

First you will be prompted whether to use Recovery Console or install. Select install. It asks you where do you want to install Windows. You select the location where you have Windows at the moment. Setup will complain and ask you if you want to remove the old Windows or install on top of it. You say you want to install over the old one.

Your installed programs will be kept intact. Some thing may need ro be registered again (I think I had problems with Office wanting to see the registration key again). The more common settings in the registry lke wallpaper and such will remain the same, some things will be reset.

Also - I'm not sure how comfortable I would be after a repair without reinstalling the oracle client if you really need it. I'm not 100% sure though since I haven't actually experienced that exact scenario myself. May all be fine :)

To do a repair install of Windows 98 I usually just go into the command prompt and reload it off of the exsisting CAB files but there may be easier ways.

CAB files located in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

then just type in "setup" and you should be good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back