reinstalling winodws xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreux456

I tried to install linux in my dell desktop as a dual boot but ended up losing windows xp, which I didn't want to happen?! obviously I'm a noob at this stuff. I don't mind linux but it turns out that I need windows xp for certain outside applications. my question is can I add another harddrive and reinstall windows with the restore cd that dell sent me, or do I need to reinstall it to the orignal harddrive? and if I do that what happens to linux, and what other hazards should I be concerned with. thanks in advance.

It will probably take a reformat.
Set your two partitions. Install Windows with the Dell disk.
Then add Linux.
The Full Version of Windows XP will allow you to do all this easily. I am not sure Dell is interested in helping you.

update on your suggestions

thanks for your help, raybay, it's much appreciated. I managed to reinstall winodw xp but had a little trouble with the partition issue. evidently the linux install created four partitions. I tried installing winodws xp in a reformatted partition but got the message "Invalid Partition Table", whereupon everything stopped and I had to shut down the computer and start over, more than once. I finally got it to work only after I reformatted the entire drive, which only gave me one partition, which is C. now I have windows xp but not linux which is fine for now. I'll work on the partition issue later. thanks again.

When you can, give Acronis the contract. It will work without another reformat, easily and without risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back