Related SanDisk Cruzer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cruzer appears to work - the lights blink on the drive when you try to access it. But it can't really find the files. Still says the drive ISN'T FORMATTED.
Based on one post, I changed the drive letter away from the default F: to an unused letter. So far, so good.

But... No matter what I have tried, when I format it in a variety of ways, the info window works up to 99% complete and then tells me it can't format the disk. But won't say Why... So I have an unformatted Cruzer.

Try formatting from a different OS or Computer or both. Then never format again, its flash memory not a hard drive. Fragmentation is essentially a non issue, and I don't see anything you are gaining from formatting over just deleting the file.

I'm not trying to 'gain' anything except the use of the drive. I've tried it in two computers (both running XP Pro) and they both say that the drive isn't formatted -- and yet neither computer will let me complete a reformat. It runs up to 99% complete, and then says the format was not completed. No further diagnostic info available, apparently.

And I'm not surprised by others' comments that they found no useful info or help through SanDisk's web site. I had a problem with one of their CF cards once, and I found it completely impossible to get Help, either online or by phone.

Lots of people have problems with flash memory, and it seems like Sandisk is the most common to have problems. What I was saying about not formatting was more of a general comment and not directed specifically at you - just a quick look around this forum shows a lot of these issues with flash drives happen after formatting the drive.

Your best bet at this point after trying 2 machines is to change the OS you are trying in. If you don't have access to a 98 machine, then try a live linux distro and format (FAT32) from within that.

SNGX1275 said:
Lots of people have problems with flash memory, and it seems like Sandisk is the most common to have problems.

Oh snap! I have two of these D:
They're relatively new & haven't experienced the problem yet >_< Hopefully never.

I had a problem with a sandisk 4gb usb flash. Called the company and was told it was counterfeit. Call Sandisk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back