reluctant about add/remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

we all want a faster computer. in one of TS's tutorials it advises to remove programs from add/remove that are not used. so i decided to check through mine, and about the third one down was "Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem". i never run into this program in my daily activities, and my search leads me to C:/WINDOWS. I am afraid that if i do find it in the hidden files that i will click on the wrong thing. in fact, about one-third of the add/remove is unknown to me. are there any threads that inform specifically how to investigate safely the contents of add/remove programs and remove programs, or parts that won't do me any harm? thanks, Ed James

1. i don't know how to make pictures to post, although i'd love to.
2. what do you mean by "pm me"?
thanks for the reply, Ed James

1. i don't know how to make pictures to post, although i'd love to.
To make a screenshot:
Press a key on your keyboard named "Print Screen/SysRq"
Open up a drawing program such as MS Paint or Photoshop etc, create a new document then Edit>Paste.
Cut the bits you dont want then save it as a picture.

To "attach" it to your post:
Click on Manage Attatchments
Upload the file(s) you want here, then close that window using the button on the bottom
Finalise your post and click Submit Post etc..

2. what do you mean by "pm me"?
pm = private message. Kinda like an internal email service on the forum...

Agrere Systems PCI Soft Modem is part of the drivers/program for your modem card. If you do use dialup internet services or some sort of network connections using your inbuilt modem then its highly suggested not to uninstall this, unless you want to create havoc and create the next armageddon (just kidding :D).

Few tips on trying to find out what is whats to use a search engine such as google.com or list in here what ones are concerning you, full name and discripions if you can..

aparently i have deleted mspaint, and i don't have photoshop. any advice? can i get mspaint back? thanks, Ed James

just click on start < run < mspaint
restore your mspaint by searching for it with "paint" as keyword

I can't help you pretty soon, I am losing internet access, my home doesnt have it.

Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components>accessories and utilities [Details]> Accessories>Paint

N3051M,
it worked. i have paint and have it installed. i am still unable to get it to copy and paste my add/remove window. i went back and reread what you suggested, along with the help section, and a mix of the two. any new advice would be appreciated. thanks, Ed James

How about we do it step by step..

1. open up the add/remove window with whatever you want to show us with visible on screen
2. Press the Print Screen button (usualy located next to the F12 and before Scroll Lock buttons on a standard keyboard). Your mouse will flicker for a second.
3. Go to [Start>All Programs>Acessories>Paint] then [Edit>Paste] or Ctrl+V
4. Your screenshot of your desktop should appear inside paint. Go [File>Save] and save it in a location that is easy for you and with a name.

Repeat 1-4 for any other screenshots you wish to do.

5. Go to this thread, click on the button Post Reply
6. Scroll down to Additional Options and click on a button called Manage Attatchments
7. Locate the file using Browse then click on the Upload button next to it
8. After it finish uploading it will appear underneath the upload boxes
8b. Repeat 7-8 if you wish to attach more than one
9. Click Close Window button when finished attatching all your files
10. Post the rest of your message and click Submit Reply

Alternatively, like i've said before, if you cant get a screenshot thats ok.. just write down the names of the programs that are in the add/remove window that you want to have us check and post back.

it worked all the way up until i clicked on upload. then i got a "this page cannot be displayed" message, a message that has defeated me at least a thousand times since i have reconnected with road runner.

i even tried disabling zone alarm, to no avail. even though it didn't work, i have a feeling that what did work will prove to be useful in the future.
the name of the program is Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem. thanks for the reply and others are welcome. Ed James

ejames82 said:
it worked all the way up until i clicked on upload. then i got a "this page cannot be displayed" message, a message that has defeated me at least a thousand times since i have reconnected with road runner.
Sounds like something doesn't like to load the page on your connection, but it would work otherwise :)

Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
is as said before, a chipset driver found in some brands of PCI/Internal modem.

Its safe to remove if you dont use the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back