Remote Desktop Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

Maybe I'm missing out on a very BASIC setting, but I'm trying to setup the 'Remote Desktop Connection' between computers in my house, and no matter what computers I'm trying to have a connection the error message:

'The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator.'

How do I enable remote connections??

Do you perhaps have a firewall installed or are using ICW? If so you can open port 3389 to allow Remote Desktop connections.

To enable remote connecting:

Right click My Computer > Properties > Remote tab > "Enable Remote Desktop"

That enables it, it only works on Windows XP Pro & 2003 computers.

Next, a neat little trick, instead of starting a brand new session, if you want it to use the current logged in session (which is useful to me) do this:

Right-click the shortcut to the Remote Desktop (any shortcut to it will do, as long as you use it).

Next, click Properties.
In the textbox that says "target" add to the end "/console"

Nothing will change in the program but it will log you into the session already there instead of creating a new one.

When I type in /console or \console it says

'The name %SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe\console' specified in teh Target box is not valid. Make sure hte path and file name are correct.'

Also:

When I go into CONTROL PANEL>USERS an error message of 'wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment' pops up. When I type it into google it tells me that is VB script errors. This problem is within windows and I've restarted, tried doing it in multiple users and in safe mode to no luck. Any ideas??

You have to add " /console" (note the space)..

Also, you should go for some VNC version or Radmin for proper remote control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back