Remote Desktop through Hub to Internal Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, guys... I'm stumped. How do I use Windows Remote Desktop through a hub to get to my internal networked computers?

Here's my setup: One Internet\Network "Server" with two NICs - one NIC is connected to DSL modem, the other NIC connects to the hub. The "server" is running XP Pro\SP2. I have three other machines in my internal network, each connected to the hub. One is on XP Pro\SP2, the other two are on XP Home\SP2. The internet connection sharing and internal network file\printer sharing runs just fine.

I can easily use Remote Desktop to my "server" using the IP address given to it by my DSL provider. But........

How do I get to the other machines on the other side of the hub? Is there some sort of routing or bridging or some port thing I need to configure?

Please don't tell me to get a router - I realize that is a solution, too, but I would like to know how to resolve this with my current configuration.

Any ideas??

Thanks for your help!!

The first step is make sure your Hub/NAT is Upnp compatible . this was just an update to firmware for my Lynksis.Everything worked immediately after that.

Your hub has nothing to do with the problem. A hub is an ethernet device and it has absolutely no idea about anything that moves across the internet and TCP/IP.

You need to set up port forwarding on the ICS computer. For this all the LAN machines have to have static IPs or you will have trouble reaching a specific machine.

Create a new service in ICS settings for every one of your local computers. Remote Desktop uses port 3389 so you could give the local computer #1 the external port 33891, #2 33892 etc to keep things tidy. Set the local IP address to match the target computer and the internal port as 3389. Now you can connect to your computer #1 using your internet IP address and port 33891 a la "my.external.ip.address:33891"

Simple, when your are remote desktop'd into your gateway, open a RDP viewer and it and access the rest of your computers that way. (kinda piggy-backing on the gateway). If you open up much more you are exposing yourself more than needed.

If I were you I would do two things (I know you said about the first):
1) Look at buying a cheap DSL/Cable router. I like my LinkSys BEFSR41. I mostly like it because its fairly versatile and it allows VPN connections to pass through it. (important because I use a VPN for work). The good thing about the router is that your can connect to different ports and specify which internal IP to forward to.
2) Do research on VNC and tunnelling through PuTTY. Its alot more secure than RDP.

Liquidlen said:
The first step is make sure your Hub/NAT is Upnp compatible . this was just an update to firmware for my Lynksis.Everything worked immediately after that.

Sorry; my statement should have read ...Router/NAT... mine is the Befsr41 and it required the firmware update adding UPnP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back