Remote Shutdown Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
Hi guys! I need a program that can remote shutdown Novell, Unix and Windows machines over the network.

It does not matter so much what OS it needs to run on but it would not hurt if it was Win2K...

I need to activate the program via a script, so there must be a switch in the program that enables me to actually do this without pressing any buttons...

The reason I need it is because our Riello Power Dialog 600 UPS has a crappy software for doing exactly this, i.e. shutting down comps remotley so I want to use my own...

BTW; it's 17 servers and the maximum runtime with this UPS is ca 20-30 minutes...

In Windows XP (not sure about other versions),
Create a shortcut "%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0" without quotes. Clicking on this will restart your computer, I'm not sure what help this will be, but for some reason I felt it necessary to say it ;) .

There are better ways to turn off a remote computer, I'm sure, but perhaps you could use Windows remote desktop if you can't find anything else. :)

eddy05: That program seems fine however it only supports Windows...

timmoore: The computer must restart when an Event occurs, I could use your idea however it would be allot of scripting to do to be able to shut down all servers...

Rick: see above ;-)

Thanks all for your help though:)

Well, I created this thread when we lost power last time here at work...

And today the whole southern part of Sweden has lost power ... And of course it happened when I was away for lunch so I could not power off the servers manually. I.e. they where shut-down abruptly...

Currently our Novell server that hosts DHCP addresses is having problems starting but that's not why I'm writing...

I.e. I'm still interested in a program that offers the functionality I posted about above...

Update: it appears like Riello have made their UPS Monitor software more mature

I will give it another try and report back my findings...

Well, Indeed their software works fine now, our Novell and Windows servers gracefully shutdown during our latest powerfailure...

However now I have the same problem at home ;-)

I set up a Linux firewall (IPCOP) and want to be able to shut it down when power fails... So how can I do this via a scripted event or similar from my Windows machine?

Supposing you have remote shell access to the machine, you can write a script that auto-logins to the firewall machine as a very restricted user that can only do the shutdown. You'd need a telnet/ssh client that supports auto logins and scripts.

PuTTY does not support automatic authentication - it is their official policy.

I know that you can do auto login with standard unixoid telnet and ssh but I haven't used anything but putty in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back