Removing apps from automatically starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

I'm not even sure what the menu is called, it's on the very bottom of the
screen, right hand side. Shows all the applications that start when I start the computer.

It isn't the Quick Launch (I don't think) - that's over by the START button if I'm correct.

There are way too many things that start automatically, I'm sure I'm clogging up my RAM. I'd like to remove several of them that I use only occasionally and for which I have shortcuts in a desktop Applications folder for quick access.

I've done a bunch of searching and can't even determine for sure what it's called, let alone how to add or delete items from it.

Thanks much!!

What you can do is click on Start--> Run and type in msconfig and then click on the selective startup tab (the last one) and uncheck what you don't want to start when loading windows. Keep in mind it's possible to mess Windows up a little so if you are not sure what the program is when looking at it, I would advise leaving it alone until you done some research it. Let me know if you have any questions.

I Always Say This.., But Does Anyone Listen......

The anti-spyware app "SpybotSD14" has (in it's expert menu, under tools, a "start-up" entry) this can be configured the same as "msconfig" to prevent apps from loading at start-up. It also has a pane to tell you what each entry means, or if it's harmful or unnecessary.

The Auro-Runs thingy looks really worthwhile also, it was written by the same person that wrote "rootkit revealer".

EpsilonAlpha said:
What you can do is click on Start--> Run and type in msconfig and then click on the selective startup tab (the last one) and uncheck what you don't want to start when loading windows. Keep in mind it's possible to mess Windows up a little so if you are not sure what the program is when looking at it, I would advise leaving it alone until you done some research it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Worked like a charm! Was able to recognize about 1/2 doz things I didn't want to auto start every time I boot, unchecked them, now starts much faster. Thanks!!

Just one Q - I have an Asus board and there's a Utility that monitors things like temps, fan speeds, RAM usage etc - there used to be a small icon on that same menu when I booted up, now it isn't there. I found it in the Program Files and pinned it to the Start menu, which is good enuf, but how would I get it back onto that other menu if I wanted it or something else on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back