Removing GRUB (Already tried fixmbr)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtickner1

Hi, i decided to get rid my computer of Ubuntu, so i formatted the HDD that Ubuntu was on and re-installed Vista back on that HDD wich is my C drive.

Now, whenever i boot up computer it comes up with GRUB error 17 or something and the only way i can get into Vista is by pressing ESC when it's booting up and choosing my secondary HDD and choosing the Vista thats on my C drive.

I've already put my Vista disc in and gone to recovery and run "bootrec.exe/fixmbr" "bootrec.exe/fixboot" and so on and none of these have worked.

I personally wouldnt really care about it and probably would just leave it there but it's not only me who use this computer and if i'm not here to turn it on, well everyone else is too stone-age to understand the concept to get Vista running,

Any help on getting Grub of my computer would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

I have had that happen to me Super Grub Download that and burn it to a disk and use it as a boot disk and follow the instructions.That is what I used when I deleted my debian partition.

It's not gonna stuff with my Windows installation is it?

Ah i have no CD's there must be some other way to get rid of it, it's a pain in the ****

it would do nothing, i need to format my HDD with the old vista and need to be able to boot into the new one,

now i think i've done something stupid to by bootloader, i ran some program that was meant to fix it and it got rid of GRUB but now i have nvidia boot manager or something and i cant even boot a cd from it

I really don't understand what u r upto, but i guess u havent fix yo problem, so pliz let us know whether u have or not.
The other thing is, get a floppy with win98 boot files, and boot from it, then when u reach the command prompt, type this.
fdisk /mbr
That should fix yo problem.
what it does, is it searches for the mbr and repairs any incorrect allocation, and scans for the current OS, and replace it.
if yo hdd say, anything like PARTITION ERROR, then that mean that the MBR is damaged and it need to be fix.
Pliz let us know what error u get.
Cheers
Robin

Go back into the windows recovery console. Run FIXBOOT as well as FIXMBR. If that does not work download gparted and put the bootable flag back on yout windows partition. You can also use gparted to remove any last trace of linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back