i am using a dual boot XP Pro and Fedora 3
i want to remove grub and use the windows loader
how do i
remove grub
and
make a boot entry for fedora in the windows loader
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
my xp boot cd is an OEM so it doesent have a command prompt
i cant understand really technical stuff so please keep it simple i am 13, i have not done a phd in computer sciences :knock:

Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: the Windows bootloader does not support loading any other OS than itself. Keep grub - and honestly, it's waaay ahead of the Windows bootloader in features.

For example, here XP is on the secondary master drive, but it boots as if it were on C: without a problem! Windows just can't boot on anything other than the primary drive normally. Well, with grub (or lilo), it can.

Heck, I even make Solaris boot with grub!

Windows can load Linux no problem.. Please read the sticky about Linux dual boot on top of this very forum.

Nodsu said:
Windows can load Linux no problem.. Please read the sticky about Linux dual boot on top of this very forum.

Yup, with a bandaid... Grub doesn't need that. Frankly, I just don't see the point of using the Windows bootloader...

What's more, what do you do if your Windows partition is NTFS? Linux doesn't have NTFS write support - yet.

my xp boot cd is an OEM so it doesent have a command prompt

Maybe waaay too late to post this, but I have an OEM xp cd and it can load the commandline fine. I just press "R" when it asks me what I wanna do.

Just keep GRUB.... think of it this way. Linux can read Windows, but Windows cant read Linux. Read my name :p Bill Gates wants to keep his monopoly a monopoly. Ever notice that you can change a FAT32 drive to NTFS? BUT YOU CANT change a NTFS drive to FAT32. You know why? Because Windows is trying to get everyone to use it because it is more stable. They ignore the fact that Linux doesnt support NTFS. So if you had a NTFS partition you could boot it with GRUB i believe but you cant read it with Linux.

Windows hates Linux, it threatens them.
USE GRUB!

If you really just have to do it there is a command you can use through system recovery i believe to install the Windows bootloader on a target partition. Just like you can with GRUB.

I dont remember it so google it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back