Removing MSMessenger(windows messenger) from XP Pro SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leem

HI,

My work is asking me to remove MS messenger from their computers. They don't want employees, or the public, to be able to chat. Once it is removed, they will deepfreeze the machines.

The problem is I cannot find it in add/remove programs. I can take the icon off the IE 6.0 bar, but it is very easy to put the icon back on. I see the "messenger" folder under programs, but there is no uninstall option.

If I delte the .dll files in the messenger folder, will messenger stop working? IS there a way to completely uninstall msmessenger? :confused:

Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs -> Add Remove Windows Components (its on the left hand side).

You can remove it that way.

MSN Messenger, and the messenger service are 2 different things. I also think the messenger service is disabled by default in XP SP2.

Interesting. I followed the link and followed the instructions, but messenger was still there.

I deleted the "messenger" folder out of programs. Now when I open up IE6.0, the messenger icon is gone. If I move the mouse to where there icon was on the navigation bar, a black square becomes highlighted. WHen I click on it, it says the "messenger.exe" location cannot be found.

Woohoo..no one can use messenger. It might be more efficient if I use add/remove windows components. But it seems my work around works fine.

ps...if I do use add/remove components, should I uncheck media player and all the other stuff that is checked by default.

More Windows with less Microsoft

Hi leem,
to effectively and *physically* remove the M$ "crap", such as Messenger, MediaPlayer, Movie Maker and Outlook Express your company should consider using "XPLite pro". It adds the missing uninstall features to Windows 2K/XP incl. restore/reinstall of the components. I used it on any new installs I do for myself or my clients. Hightly recommended and affordable

The "unstall" feature in Windows for Messenger & Co. only remove the links and a few reg entries, but the files still remain on the drive and a user may "reinstall" or use them if she knows where those files are.
You may also look at xp-AntiSpy, which removes a few registry entries related to these apps. It's freeware.

Good luck with "More Windows with less Microsoft" :)

CirTap

leem said:
ps...if I do use add/remove components, should I uncheck media player and all the other stuff that is checked by default.
You can, but then don't expect to use them again without adding them back.

The little pest hides in a lot of places

1. Do a control alt delete, click on the processes tab, highlight msmsgs and click on end process.

2. Start, control panel, add remove programs,change or remove programs, click on Messenger, then remove

3. In the same box click on add remove windows components. Take the check out of the Messenger box.

4. Start, run, then type msconfig, click on the startup tab, find the little demon and uncheck him.

5. Start, control panel, administrative tools, services, find and highlight him, then click on stop the service at the lefthand side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back