Rename a large group of files through DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I have a large group of files that I would like to rename with DOS. I say DOS because if you use windows explorer to rename then by selecting them all and renaming one of them it adds in (1), (2), etc. And I cannot have ()'s in my filename.
So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use DOS to rename these files all at once, instead of doing it manually.

Yeah I've seen a few of those utilities, but was figuring there has to be a way to do it through DOS, with a batch file or something. I'll look into that program though. Thx RBS.

Well it doesn't have to be done that way, I was just looking for a free alternative to those programs. Since they have to be doing it someway similar, albeit through a GUI. I know about the ren command, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Basically I am trying to get rid of double extensions on rar files. So instead of having filename.part01.rar, I will just have part01.rar and put them in the filename folder.

I guess you're right, a GUI program is probably the easiest way to go. Because I sure can't find any way to do it through DOS online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back