Renaming mobo BIOS files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, newbie question, searched the forum but couldn't find any.

I wanted to flash my mobo (MSI Neo4 Platinum) BIOS to the latest, in an attempt to solve my BSODs (too much to elaborate here). I first used MSI's Live Update utility, but was not really convinced it did a completely clean job (didn't seem to update DMI pool). Anyway to do it myself, I used Winflash (no FDD). Here's the thing: Winflash reads .bin BIOS images, while the image on MSI's website is a .1b0

Is it okay for me to change the extension such that Winflash can read it? That is to say, BIOS image files are like text files (e.g.), no matter what extension you call it, it's still a text file and will open correctly with any text editor?

Actually I've got ahead and done it, but am wondering if I did the right thing. PC seems to boot and function normally though. (Still have the BSODs, but I think it's just because it was a mess to start with, gonna put in a fresh OS soon).

Yes, the BIOS files are raw binary images and it doesn't matter what you call them.

Of course there may be some proprietary solutions that use some weird format of their own. Such a file would result in an immediate error message from the BIOS flashing utility of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back