Replacing e310 mobo HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I really need help. I just bought a e310 and i want to replace the motherboard. What i want to ask is...

1. Is the e310 proprietary?

2. If so, when replacing the mobo do i also need to replace the case and the psu or just the psu

3. And also what type of case is the e310? ATX, Mid tower ATX, etc

Thank you soo much in advance!!!!

The E310 is not propriatary but it uses a micro BTX motherboard which can be hard to find and expensive(compaired to similar ATX boards). Alturnatively you could use an ATX motherboard if you also replace the case with an ATX case. Either way you will need a fresh copy of XP as a Dell OEM copy will not reinstall on a new motherboard.(microsoft sees a new motherboard as a new computer therefore requireing a new licence for XP) The PSU in the E310 is a standard OEM HIPRO so it doesn't need to be replaced but it is probablya good idea to replace it with a better PSU like an Enermax, Antec,PC Power & Cooling,FSP. especially if you plan to upgrade video or add more drives.
Here are some micro BTX boards if you decide to go that route.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121295

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121021

1 last question. I heard that all dells were propiatary.. So are you SURE that the e310 is not? i trust you and all, i just dont want the mobo to fry after i plug it to the psu.

superman41091 said:
1 last question. I heard that all dells were propiatary.. So are you SURE that the e310 is not? i trust you and all, i just dont want the mobo to fry after i plug it to the psu.

Dells are no longer propriatary. all of the E series desktops are not propriatary. Most Pentiun 4 dells are not propriatary but a few early models were. all Pentium2,3 systems were propriatry. the easy way to tell is to look for an extra 6 pin (AT style) connector on the motherboard some of the early propriatry early P4 dells did not have this but most did. As I said your system is new enough not to be propriatry. By the way dell powersupplies have protection circuicts so even if it was propriatry It would not fry your new motherboard it would just emit an earsplitting shreek and refuse to start the problem of frying a motherboard comes when people use cheaper non Dell PSUs without protection circuicts on propriatary Dell boards.

proprietary Dell motherboards

I was unaware that Dell had made "small" changes to their motherboards until 2 nights ago. A friend has a Compaq with a 303 keyboard controller error. I bought a Dell mobo for cheap, intending to transplant it into the Compaq case. Smoke, arcing, and small flames erupted from the power supply. THe connector is the same, but it is wired different on the mobo. Beware, now I have an adapter on order (to connect a regular ATX power supply to a proprietary Dell mobo), and a new power supply to replace the one that blew up. Hopefully the mobo survived, I have another one on order just in case. For less than 30 bucks, these mobos are expendable.
Dell must have taken a lot of heat over this scheme, the newer machines are standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back